Is running Steam Deck's SteamOS as a VM possible?

All utility of such VM aside (yes, there is basically none), I thought it would be an interesting challenge to try and run deck's SteamOS since the real deal will be unobtainable for quite some time.

I found a link to the recovery tool with an img file( Steam deck recovery image ), yet I had no luck booting from img and converting it to iso, qcow2, and vmdk for vmware workstation gave similar results. My best attempt resulted in infinite "Booting from Hard Disk..." using SeaBIOS, but it might have just been restricted by my limited KVM experience.

So my question to the more KVM advanced friends, do you think it's possible to somehow sideload it into unraid? Did steam use some protection against such attempts or is it just completely incompatible?

Let me know what do you think!

Edited by Eksitus
  • Upvote 1
  • Eksitus changed the title to Is running Steam Deck's SteamOS as a VM possible?
  • 2 months later...

Hey Eksitus,

Have you tried the ISO file from steampowered? According to the ZIP file I downloaded from your link above it is "SteamOS GNU/Linux 2.0 "Brewmaster" - Unofficial Multi-architecture  -  i386/amd64 DVD #1 20190717-21:08"

Probing around the steampowered site, I found the "Brewmaster" build group, and the file is 17th July 2019 for the ISO, so I'm guessing that is the correct one.

http://repo.steampowered.com/download/brewmaster/2.195/

Seems to work for me this way using the ISO.  Sorry if you have already found this solution.

My settings for this quick test were:

60G vHD

16G RAM

VNC Video

image.thumb.png.f04ed817963f7c705168b51006e662e0.png

image.png.884df51fe62fd13e26c40c02ee0a084a.png

image.png.5ef435be6a1add58eba3becf68907711.png

After reboot...

image.png.44496faa2d6221090f224e4ea0f81e15.png

Selected reboot, then enter.

image.png.07a18642cc9f3ab805133e38ec70ad3b.png

It may need a decent video card, as I don't seem to get past this stage after the build.

image.png.a05ac8c187522a142dcaee8e9f58e2d1.png

EDIT:

OK, I assigned a Nvidia 1050Ti card to the system, and it fired up on my monitor and allowed me to finalize the setup process (Language, Timezone etc).   So yeh, seems to work just fine.  Thanks for the trip :)

Edited by DarthKegRaider
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I am new to UnRAID and have no idea about running VMs on it yet. But, Steam OS 2.0 which DarthKegRaider installed is not the OS on the Steam Deck. I don't think it's still supported by Valve. It's the old Ubuntu based Steam OS, the Steam Deck uses Steam OS 3.0, which is Arch based. Holo ISO is the new Steam Deck version available as a .ISO to make a boot drive from. This is not an official Valve .ISO.

Again, no idea about how trying to install it on UnRAID would go, but I am running it bare metal on my Ryzen 5 5600G build and it works beautifully.

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 7:29 AM, Eksitus said:

All utility of such VM aside (yes, there is basically none), I thought it would be an interesting challenge to try and run deck's SteamOS since the real deal will be unobtainable for quite some time.

I found a link to the recovery tool with an img file( Steam deck recovery image ), yet I had no luck booting from img and converting it to iso, qcow2, and vmdk for vmware workstation gave similar results. My best attempt resulted in infinite "Booting from Hard Disk..." using SeaBIOS, but it might have just been restricted by my limited KVM experience.

So my question to the more KVM advanced friends, do you think it's possible to somehow sideload it into unraid? Did steam use some protection against such attempts or is it just completely incompatible?

Let me know what do you think?

you could try holoiso which takess the steam deck recorey image files and modifeys them to work on pc's

dont think it'll work on vmware tho

Mabye QEmu

or try this imagefile i made using a iso maker and the offical steam os installer disk

(dosent work)