Solarflare SFN5122F Kernel Panic Unraid 6.9.2

Go to solution Solved by obowan,

Good morning Unraid Community! I have a weird issue and was hoping I could lean on someone to get this resolved. My server has an Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard, a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, with 2x GPUs successfully passed through to 2 different VMs. This is all working great but my Solarflare SFN5122F is giving me trouble. The weird thing is, I can pass both ports of the 10gig card to my 2 VMs without issue but once I try and use it as an Unraid network interface, I get a kernel panic and have to force the system off. I captured what I could of the panic and attached it here. I can enable the port via "Port Up" but right when I enable Bridging or try to assign an IP address, it immediately locks up. I've tweaked BIOS settings related to PCIE devices and disabled network boot and cannot figure it out. I'm on Unraid 6.9.2. Any ideas?

*Edit* I do not have any IPs assigned to my dockers nor do I have "Host access to custom networks" enabled. Most of my dockers don't run except one at startup. I do not believe this is related to the pervasive issues with call traces when leveraging a macvlan network. Thank you in advance for the help

*Edit2* This issue persists with a brand new install of Unraid 6.9.2 as well. I'm having difficulty gathering syslogs since the issue is network related

*Edit3* BIOS update did not resolve. My USB unfortunately became unmountable after so many kernel panics and hard shutoffs. I've switched to a new USB drive. Issues persist. One port is passed through to a VM without issue, the other is recognized by Unraid as a network interface but right when I attempt to set an IP, the kernel panic comes back. IOMMU groups posted below in case that helps. I've also tried to unbind both ports and enable one or the other as a network interface in the Unraid UI. This also happens with PCIe ACS override disabled entirely. I would really appreciate any help that can be given

IMG_1125.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 9.38.31 AM.png

Edited by obowan
  • obowan changed the title to Solarflare SFN5122F Kernel Panic Unraid 6.9.2
  • Solution

Thanks to some support by @1812, I've got a working 10GbE port for my VM and Unraid server. His recommendation was to establish the open Solarflare port as the primary NIC. This solution has allowed to me to use that 10GbE port as the network interface for Unraid. That being said, if I make any changes to the network config for it in the UI, IP, VLAN, etc. , it kernel panics like it has been. However, the network settings persist upon reboot so after manually editing the config on another computer and working through a couple kernel panics and hard resets, I have a 10GbE port for my server. Something else really cool: when I iperf3 between the port passed through to my VM and the port on my server, I get over 20Gbits/sec. Awesome.

Edited by obowan