[SOLVED] Disk won't mount or format

I have a particular disk, it seems. 

It was pulled from a Windows laptop with the intent of using it as a 3rd cache drive just for file transfers. I installed it, it showed as unmountable as expected with no option to format. (I know where to look). 

I thought OK, I'll blow away the partitions so I used power shell to delete all the partitions on the drive, then I created a new volume. (There were 7 in total (Dell rig, all sorts of recovery partitions etc.) Left it as raw. 

I got the dreaded "unmountable -Unsupported partition layout" but there was no option to format the disk. 

Fine, I brought it back to my PC and formatted it there as an ntfs drive. Dropped it in unraid and this time, the format button showed up, except it didn't work. I tick the "yes I want to do this", format, it says "formatting" then it reverts to "Unmountable disk present and the option to format again. Loop. On the right, it says "Unmountable: No file system". 

Ideas? Never had this much issue taking a drive and dropping it into unraid. 

More curiously: I unassigned it from the cache pool and now under unassigned devices, it shows as mounted. 

[SOLVED] That was my clue. I guess in looking at the disk, I had mounted it as an unassigned device, then, without unmounting it, I assigned it to a pool. Then I couldn't format it. When I unassigned it, unmounted it then assigned it, I was able to format it!

Edited by TyantA
  • TyantA changed the title to [SOLVED] Disk won't mount or format
  • 1 year later...