HBA Slow transfer speed on "old/excisting" disks

BeardElk

As the title says, I get somewhat "slow" (60-70MB/s) transfer speeds with my drives that existed before I got my HBA card. 
Thats both drive to drive, and over network to another pc. 

The new hdd thats never been connected to anything besides the hba card performe as expected. 

Its my 4 drives thats been connected via mb sata thats "under performing". 
I don´t know if this is normal or not, I just cant understand or see why the speed should differ.

I can get excpected transfer speed (107-112MB/s) both over network and drive to drive if nothing else is using any of the drives (ie = unraid with all dockers stopped, all vms stopped).

But as soon as I start plex or any other docker that has/uses files on those drives, the speed gets halved. 

I´ve tried the HBA card in x16/x8/x4 and its all the same. 

Is this to be expected or is something wrong? 

(Previously I had all my drives connected directly to my mb, but when I got my HBA I switched them all (and added 1 new drive) to my HBA)
(HBA is an LSI 9211-8i (flashed by me) to P20 IT  ((2118it.bin/mptsas2.rom/x64sas2)) 

(Worth mentioning is that I Cannot get the "avago setup - press crtl c" to ever show up on this mb. I flashed it on another uefi pc that was more accessible, enabling csm to get the card to show up and then flashing it. With this mb I haven´t gotten the card to show up even with csm/legacy boot) And I´ve checked that the card Is flashed to IT on that avago settings page tho, nvram and bios and rom are all correct)  

If I run a manual parity sync, and then start a movie on plex, they collectivly slow down to 30-40mb. 
Is this a  result of the 9211-8i? 
Bc if I run a parity sync, all my drives are reporting the same reads.

And If I try to transfer a file, it fucking sucks. 

I had better transfer speed when the drives were connected to the motherboard. 

Do I need du Pay up and Shut up and get a 3008 HBA? 

On 4/9/2022 at 11:28 AM, BeardElk said:

I can get excpected transfer speed (107-112MB/s) both over network and drive to drive if nothing else is using any of the drives (ie = unraid with all dockers stopped, all vms stopped).

12 hours ago, BeardElk said:

If I run a manual parity sync, and then start a movie on plex, they collectivly slow down to 30-40mb. 

Concurrent operation in disk will got slow. Nothing relate to 9211 and won't help upgrade to 9300.

• 8 months later...

I'm having a similar issue with the same HBA, but much slower speeds. 25-30MBps max, usually in the 15MBps range). I just migrated from a dual xeon server to a new i5 12400 with only two SATA slots on the motherboard. I intended all along to put all my drives onto the HBA but transfer speeds dropped dramatically. Reads, writes, on server, over the network are all the same even tho I upgraded to a 2.5Gbe network. I havent seen anything over 30MBps since I moved everything to the HBA. Currently reading a 3TB file from the array to a external USB3 drive, averaging 8.5MBps

Do I need to move two of the drives to the MB in order to get proper speeds?

Edited by 77patriot
38 minutes ago, 77patriot said:

I'm having a similar issue with the same HBA, but much slower speeds. 25-30MBps max, usually in the 15MBps range). I just migrated from a dual xeon server to a new i5 12400 with only two SATA slots on the motherboard. I intended all along to put all my drives onto the HBA but transfer speeds dropped dramatically. Reads, writes, on server, over the network are all the same even tho I upgraded to a 2.5Gbe network. I havent seen anything over 30MBps since I moved everything to the HBA. Currently reading a 3TB file from the array to a external USB3 drive, averaging 8.5MBps

Do I need to move two of the drives to the MB in order to get proper speeds?

Most onboard SATA controller nor LSI HBA will got same high performance, usually problem are cause by slow disk member in array.

Diskspeed docker may help you identify which disk got problem.

After that test it locally by file transfer, just no array to  array, use SSD / external USB3 disk as source also fine.

Enable reconstruct write usually got best performance.

image.png.e6bcff74f78ff5f4ae4c10785266a91a.png

Edited by Vr2Io