two parity drives one bad questions on order of operations

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

I have 2 3 tb parity drives. One is starting to have a lot of errors that were discovered during a parity check yesterday. Can I start the array back while preclearing the replacement drive? I would have to connect the replacement in the same slot as I have no free sas connections in which to perform the preclear. 

Is this the correct order?

Stop array

turn off server

uninstall bad drive

install replacement

start server

start preclear with unassigned devices plugin

start and use array until preclear finished

stop array 

select replacement as new 2nd parity drive

start parity check

start array when finished 

enjoy?

Thanks in advance. 

• Solution

Skip the preclear, just replace the drive, build parity, do a parity check, do a long smart test on the drive.

Preclear is not productive for your situation, you want to get valid parity back in place ASAP. If you had a new drive in anticipation of replacing a drive that was still functioning, then preclear might be of some value, but only as a stress test to weed out infant mortality. You will get that same level of testing by rebuilding the drive and checking parity, and the bonus is you will be protected that much sooner. If the new drive fails during the process, you aren't in any worse shape, just back to needing another drive.

If you were getting a new drive to ADD to a NEW data slot, not replacing a drive, then preclear could save some time as well as give you a confidence check in the drive before trusting it in the array. This does not apply to your situation.

• Like 1