Ryzen 4800U Integrated Graphics Card Pass Through possible?

Hi!

I have bought a mini pc (very good performance and low power consumption in idle (6w) https://www.gigabyte.com/de/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BRR7-4800-rev-10#ov)

with an integrated graphics card (amd Renoir - AMD Ryzen 4800U).

I thought about running ubuntu and windows at the same time, and if Windows fails with e.g. a bluescreen my ubuntu system still is running. 

Goal:

- Windows for productive desktop usage with 3 monitors (i don't want to switch to ubuntu desktop)

- Ubuntu for diverse services (OnlyOffice Document Server, Synapse Matrix, Plex, Seafile Cloud and so on)

First i thought to create a Hyper-V VM with ubuntu. Windows as main host. But sometimes i've to reboot Windows or just ends up with an bluescreen while installing new experimental drivers. So i don't want the dependency of windows. I thought unraid could help me out here :).

First problem that appeard, the usb stick does not boot. I have only usb 3.1 or 3.2 slots, no usb 2.0 which is recommended for unraid. Maybe the concept of using a usb stick is outdated ;) (blocked usb slot, additional power consumption over usb 3?).

After testing 5 usb sticks rotating through all slots, one stick worked :)!

I created one Windows 10 vm and set the existing drive with windows as pass through. I set the AMD Graphics Card as Video output.

Now i'm stuck with the gpu pass through. The Brix has only one GPU which is integrated. If i try to start the vm it says " group 4 is not viable Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver."

If i try to set the check mark for group 4 it says "in use by unraid". I thought unraid does not need a gpu?

Any idea how to pass through the GPU? And is it worth it to put effort into it? I have read, that gpu pass through sometimes kind of roulette working properly. 

Maybe someone can help me out :)

iommu.png

start_vm_failed.png

vm_settings.png

Edited by Merron
  • 1 year later...