Using hard and soft links to go cross shares (rtorrent & sonarr & plex)

On Reddit like 5 years ago I was reading a post that was a few years old, but can't find it again. It had to do with rtorrent (or some other p2p client) and so are on unraid using some combination of soft links and hard links. Iirc it was something like both sides used a hard link that pointed to a softlink that pointed to the actual files.

Is there something like this?

I currently have a share for each of p2p, tv, and movie. A seedbox does most of the actual downloading and then imports it to my server. I do have binhex's rtorrentvpn docker, but I use the seedbox mainly for speed (and currently my VPN subscription expired). The automation is that seedbox downloads it and then seedbox sonarr imports and rsync grabbed the completed torrent to local to continue seeding. I know this makes linking more complicated too, I assume I would need to write a post import/sync linking script.

If I need to create a share that has root folders for pep, tv, movie I can, but would really rather not.

[Edit] plex runs on local server for media

Edited by Cull2ArcaHeresy
Added that plex is media server and runs local
  • Cull2ArcaHeresy changed the title to Using hard and soft links to go cross shares (rtorrent & sonarr & plex)