USB un-rebootable issue caused by physical pc? ESXi? Or Unraid?

Hello everyone, and greeting to all of you.

I have a problem here and it is raleted to my usb port(s):

It is whenever i try to poweroff and then poweron unraid(or simply rebbot), there is a chance that it will fail to boot(to be clear it is a very big chance but not 100%), and when it fails the only solution to solve it is to physically remove usb drive and then plugin again(no matter which usb port to replugin, the other ones or the original one that get removed).

It becomes a problem for me as i have this setup in my office and i do not go there everyday, so i will not be able to get this solved very fast each time it happens.

And here is my setup:

*A poweredge R720 server(E5-2620v2*2,64g eccddr3 1600, plenty of HHD drives)

*On the bare metal is a Esxi 6.5 hyperviser, and then unraid is installed as a VM in it.

*Use plop to help vm boot from usb drives, very excellent tool by the way.

I think that is all information i should share, let me know if you need additional info, i would be very grateful if you could help me thanks.

Hi, I had a lot of USB issues using esxi 6.x. there's is a big thread on the issue I and others were having from a few years ago.

The best fix for me was upgrading to esxi 7.x. it fixed all my USB issues and even better allows you to direct boot the VM off of the USB drive. No more plop or vmdk's, just boots and updates like it was on bare metal.

If you can't upgrade to esxi 7.x for some reason, let us know if this was a working system that just started acting up or was it after an upgrade on either eexi or unraid.

Also check your vmkernel.log for errors to point in the right direction.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:17 PM, dmc72 said:

Hi, I had a lot of USB issues using esxi 6.x. there's is a big thread on the issue I and others were having from a few years ago.

The best fix for me was upgrading to esxi 7.x. it fixed all my USB issues and even better allows you to direct boot the VM off of the USB drive. No more plop or vmdk's, just boots and updates like it was on bare metal.

If you can't upgrade to esxi 7.x for some reason, let us know if this was a working system that just started acting up or was it after an upgrade on either eexi or unraid.

Also check your vmkernel.log for errors to point in the right direction.

Hi and thank you.

So it is s esxi6.x issue it is.

I think my server don`t have a official 7.x support sadly.

FYI, it is a machine that just retired from our business so now i used it to my personal use, so i should say it is just setup and start to run both esxi and unraid.

Again thank you for your information, now know issue is in esxi, i can start to solve it.

Too bad it won't run 7.x.

Here is the tread from when some of us were having the usb issues:

ESXI USB reset

A quick look at the log should help show if you are caught in this problem.

IIRC, you should be able to add a 2nd USB device(  UPS unit?) and that may fix it( no idea why)

Also, if you have a spare PCI slots you can pass through acard with USB ports for the USB drive, but think you would need to boot from vmdk instead of Plop

if it's not the USB reset issue, report back and will try to see what else is going on.

Good luck.