Fan control on a Gigabyte C246-wu

Dear Unraid users,

I am useing the Gigabyte  C246-WU4 ( Bios F6 latest). And it is inside a supermicro cs846. I have replaced the fan wall with 3x 120mm fans and connected those fans to fan port system fan 2/3/4.

Then i installed the plugins:

Perl - Nerd tools.

Dynamix System Temperature

Dynamix Auto Fan Control

And then i configured them as per the manual.

The plugin detects the fan @ /sys/devices/platform/it87.2656/hwmon/hwmon4/fan1_input for pwm1

I can see in the log that the plugin is trying to change the fan speed but it isnt working.

May 24 07:19:09 unRAID autofan: Highest disk temp is 36C, adjusting fan speed from: 92 (36% @ 1142rpm) to: 73 (28% @ 1134rpm)
May 24 07:19:09 unRAID autofan: Highest disk temp is 36C, adjusting fan speed from: 92 (36% @ 1178rpm) to: 55 (21% @ 1182rpm)
May 24 07:19:09 unRAID autofan: Highest disk temp is 36C, adjusting fan speed from: 92 (36% @ 1186rpm) to: 87 (34% @ 1165rpm)

In the bios i have change all the fans to PWM and used a multiple of fan speed options like normal/silent/manual/full speed.

The full speed one you can hear the plugin in change the fans but within 1 second its back to full speed.

Is there someone with the same problem as 1 have ?

unraid-diagnostics-20220524-0722.zip

Edited by Konijntjes

I was having the same issue when I saw this post the other day. I ended up uninstalling the Dynamix Fan Speed Control plugin and setting all the fan speed control settings to 'Normal' mode in the bios.  According to the manual( page 30-32 ) this setting should automatically adjust the fan speed based on measured temps from the board.

Seems to be working for me( I think? ) as I have seen the fan speed adjust to several values between ~500 to 1200.  I'm gonna keep watching it to make sure it behaves as expected but thought I'd let you know. 

Edited by GawedaIO
specify specific plugin
On 5/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, GawedaIO said:

I was having the same issue when I saw this post the other day. I ended up uninstalling the Dynamix Fan Speed Control plugin and setting all the fan speed control settings to 'Normal' mode in the bios.  According to the manual( page 30-32 ) this setting should automatically adjust the fan speed based on measured temps from the board.

Seems to be working for me( I think? ) as I have seen the fan speed adjust to several values between ~500 to 1200.  I'm gonna keep watching it to make sure it behaves as expected but thought I'd let you know. 

The problem i have is that the drives then get to hot i name case. 

Prefer them sub 35c. If i set them at full speed and use echo commands to the pwm controller something overrides it back to full speed. 

• 1 year later...