SAS Raid controller

cabldawg

that series (usas and usas2) is actually not that new.

the advantage of that card and its sisters are that they support IT mode. so you can use them in Solaris (or open flavors) ZFS pools with  SAS expanders.

They used to sell a motherboard with the raid version of the LSI SAS2008 card built into the board. It was a steal if you got one.

If i remember right, that is a re-branded  LSI card and can also be bought as an Intel card. I think newegg has the Intel flavor.

I also thought unraid could not  get drive temp readings  and had drive sleep issues with the  LSI SAS2008 chipset?

correct me if I'm wrong. it is  good family of cards. if people could use them.....

This appears to be the newest version of the SASLP card (with SATAIII support):

AOC-USAS2-L8i

I would suggest sending an email to Supermicro asking if the SASLP and this card support GPT partitions (hence 3 TB drives).  Let us know what they say.

correct me if I'm wrong. it is  good family of cards. if people could use them.....

I had one of my servers at work open that had one of these in it yesterday. It is UIO!

That is a supermicro version of reversed PCIe that is proprietary to certain supermicro boards.

that way they can sell it as an ADD-ON card.

that rules that out....

I also thought unraid could not  get drive temp readings  and had drive sleep issues with the  LSI SAS2008 chipset?

The very latest beta (not publicly released) has no problems with spindown.  The problem with temperature (and SMART) reports is that unMENU (and myMain) uses the -d ata switch on smartctl, which is attempting to force the card/drive to behave as an ata device.  Simply removing the -d ata switch and allowing the default auto setting to be used, restores full functionality.

People can use them - I have an AOC-USAS2-L8i working in my unRAID server right now.  As I have stated before, I prefer the UIO format because it puts the components (particularly the heatsink) on the top surface when mounted in a standard tower case, where it can dissipate the heat much more effectively.  The only problem is that the backplate is also on the 'wrong' side of the card but simple removal, swapping or spacing the backplate solves the problem.

I would suggest sending an email to Supermicro asking if the SASLP and this card support GPT partitions (hence 3 TB drives).  Let us know what they say.

It has been reported in another forum that Supermicro claim that the AOC-USAS2-L8i does support 3TB drives.