Dual boot Windows 10 VM - UUID issue

I'm having trouble dual booting Windows 10 as both a VM and baremetal. I followed Spaceinvader One's tutorial but I kept getting INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bluescreens on boot. After several cycles of attempted automated recovery, it eventually booted, but this broke the baremetal boot with the same INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. Automated repair eventually fixed this, but broke the VM boot.

I eventually figured out that my disk UUID and the UUID that windows reports with 'wmic csproduct get UUID' are different. If I set the VM UUID to the UUID of my disk, it will boot fine, but windows fails to authenticate with the error

It looks like the hardware on this device has changed. Make sure you're connected to the internet and try again later. Error code 0xC0EA000A

If I try the troubleshooter, it fails with the same message.

If I run 'wmic csproduct get UUID' from within the VM, it now gives me the UUID of the disk, not the value I get when I boot baremetal.

Is there a way to specify the windows UUID and disk UUID separately in unraid? Or is there a way to change the windows UUID to match the disk UUID?

I was able to change the UUID of the disk to match the UUID from windows by changing it with darkpart then using the free version of Paragon Backup and Recovery (bootable) to repair the startup. The baremetal windows now boots fine with the disk UUID matching what is reported by 'wmic csproduct get UUID'. Windows also reported that authentication was fine at this stage.

Unfortunately this still causes boot issues in the VM. After a couple cycles of INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, it gives me a different error (usually something about missing EFI or a BCD error). If I keep trying, it'll cycle back through INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and one of these other errors, but if I boot into safe mode from this error, it'll boot up. I'm then able to reboot into normal mode (without doing anything in safe mode) and it works fine within the VM. But if I go back to baremetal, it gives me the same loop of issues. A few cycles of INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE before I get an error that allows me to boot into safe mode, then it will boot fine.

This also doesn't solve my authentication issues. In the VM, windows says I'm not authenticated, and this persists back into the baremetal boot.

I'm finally able to boot without authentication issues but I'm still having the same issue with errors.

I got the VM to boot without authentication issues by

• Creating a backup image using Paragon Backup and Recovery
  • Booting into Paragon Backup and Recovery within the VM and restoring the image to the disk from within the VM
  • Using the bootup repair tools in Paragon Backup and Recovery (still within the VM)

I still get the same series of errors if I switch boot modes (VM vs baremetal), a few cycles of INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE before I get an error that allows me to boot into safe mode, after which it will boot fine.

At least now windows is authenticated in both the VM and baremetal boot.

I would still like to solve this issue, but I think I'll leave it as it is for now as I don't expect to boot windows baremetal very often.