bzroot unpacking

fsix

Wiki entries like this: https://wiki.unraid.net/Installing_unRAID_on_a_full_Slackware_distro and other related media documents it as either:

zcat bzroot | cpio -m -i -d -H newc --no-absolute-filenames

or xzcat and alternatives, but none work on the recent versions of unraid:

bzroot: File format not recognized
cpio: premature end of file

so how does one unpack the current bzroot?

cheers

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

May I ask why do you need this?

I want to run unraid from a container, because then it could share the ram with my host dynamically, instead of reserving large amounts whenever not necessary and crashing if it runs out of it.

I've extracted the bzroot successfully thanks! will see how I fix the start up of it now, since it's throwing bunch of errors.

2 minutes ago, fsix said:

I want to run unraid from a container, because then it could share the ram with my host dynamically, instead of reserving large amounts whenever not necessary and crashing if it runs out of it.

Okay, I don't ask any further questions since this is a rare use case I think and I think you are running Proxmox as the host or am I wrong... :D

At least from my perspective the other way around would be better... :D

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Proxmox as the host

I was going to, but now it's just regular debian with libvirt, since proxmox wraps everything into their own weird tooling, unlike unraid, I'm still on the fence if I should just migrate over entirely to unraid... but I also like just having regular debian on my host for lxd/lxc container support natively, no hacking around for virt-manager and other useful things..

51 minutes ago, fsix said:

I was going to, but now it's just regular debian with libvirt, since proxmox wraps everything into their own weird tooling, unlike unraid, I'm still on the fence if I should just migrate over entirely to unraid...

You know that I have created a plugin for LXC for Unraid with a very basic GUI at the moment, but it works... ;)

Please note that the GUI is now a little bit more advanced than in the thread... :)

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, ich777 said:

a little bit more advanced than in the thread

could you attach a screenshot of what kind of control it gives now? curious, but I wont have access to my unraid install for a bit longer sadly

the fact that there's lxc support through your plugin though, has me extremely excited, since that's 60% of why I can't switch I believe

does your plugin expose regular lxc commands too? and which ones? lxd (e.g. lxc shell) or lxc (e.g. lxc-attach)?

1 hour ago, fsix said:

could you attach a screenshot of what kind of control it gives now? curious, but I wont have access to my unraid install for a bit longer sadly

I really don't understand what you mean with that, please read the Support Thread.

1 hour ago, fsix said:

the fact that there's lxc support through your plugin though, has me extremely excited, since that's 60% of why I can't switch I believe

What do you use LXC for exactly? It's not perfect yet but it works and some things have to be done from the command line or better speaking you have to edit a file to inject some settings.

1 hour ago, fsix said:

lxd

LXD is not part of my plugin, please read the LXC Support Thread, this is mentioned there.

• Like 1