drives disabled

Hi, my parity drives keep getting disabled after i replaced a dead drive

I have tried
removing, starting in maintenance mode, readding
different cables (connecting directly to the motherboard sata instead of my lsi sas-sata card)
difference power configurations(moving the power connectors to different slots on the string like from 4th to first in the string, also having some drives unplugged)

diagnostics attached
tower-diagnostics-20220630-1013.zip

i cannot figure out the cause, they were fine until i replaced the dead drive

when i first boot they show up in unassigned, i can view the smart attributes etc but then i add them start the array they get diabled then lose the ability to view the smart attributes and they disappear from the unassigned devices

9 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Strange, they are both SMR drives, still they should not drop out like that, also the LSI is in RAID mode and with a firmware with known issues, but if the same with the onboard ports I would suggest trying different disks, SMR are not recommended anyway, especially for parity.

Hmm I bought the LSI as it was supposed to be in IT mode 

If it's in raid mode how do I show it is so I can try get a refund from eBay? 

I can't afford to keep buying disks so if I can get it back working with a firmware flash on the LSI card to put it in it mode then that would be preferable 

Screenshot_2022-06-30-10-46-59-05_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Edited by Mattlevant
Jun 30 01:55:04 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(20.00.06.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(07.39.02.00)
Jun 30 01:55:04 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: Protocol=(Initiator), Capabilities=(Raid,TLR,EEDP,Snapshot Buffer,Diag Trace Buffer,Task Set Full,NCQ)

Firmware should be 20.00.07.00, and IT mode looks like this:

Jun 27 16:56:23 Tower7 kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(20.00.07.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(00.00.00.00)
Jun 27 16:56:23 Tower7 kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: Protocol=(Initiator,Target), Capabilities=(TLR,EEDP,Snapshot Buffer,Diag Trace Buffer,Task Set Full,NCQ) Jun 27 16:56:23 Tower7 kernel: scsi host11: Fusion MPT SAS Host

Note Protocol=(Initiator,Target) and no RAID mentioned in the capabilities like above.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yes, now it's IT mode, but like mentioned if it also happened with the onboard SATA that would not be the problem. I would suggest trying different non SMR disks.

What brand/model would you suggest? I've always used WD red since back when I ran freenas 9/10/11 and truenas12 so wouldn't even know which to look for

I can't afford to just buy disks repeatedly so need some that are known to be good for unraid

Edited by Mattlevant
1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

If you want 6TB you have for example:

WD RED Plus - WD60EFZX

Toshiba N300 - HDWG460UZSVA

Seagate Ironwolf - ST6000VN001

👌 Ordered a brand new red plus see if it fixes my issue

I hope it does at £180 a drive 😭

Is smr ok for the main storage array? I can't be replacing 8 drives 😂

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It can be fine, depending on the use case, still they should not be dropping just because they are SMR, all your other drives are CMR, just both parity drives are SMR.

The other 6tb are CMR? 

Is it possible to move all the data to my 4tb drives and use the other 6tb as parity if they are CMR? 

6 minutes ago, Mattlevant said:

The other 6tb are CMR? 

Yes,

WD60EFRX original RED drives - CMR

WD60EFAX new RED drives - SMR

7 minutes ago, Mattlevant said:

Is it possible to move all the data to my 4tb drives and use the other 6tb as parity if they are CMR? 

Yes, as long as there's enough space.