Personal Unraid

Hi,

I want to build a personal NAS for storage, plex, maybe a windows virtual machine for occasional usage, maybe nextcloud. Don't attack me i am quite new to the idea. I have read somethings but a need help with the build.

So my current future build is:

1. Fractal Design Node 804 Case

2. Intel Core i5-12400 12th Generation Desktop Processor

3. MSI MAG B660M Mortar DDR4 Motherboard Micro-ATX - has 6 SATA, 2.5 Gbe, 4 slots of RAM - not sure if it supports ECC RAM?

Is ECC RAM that crucial for such a build for home usage.

4. Samsung 980 250 GB PCIe 3.0 (up to 2900 MB/s) NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State 1 for system 1 for caching

5. Timetec Hynix IC 32 GB KIT (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz PC4-19200 Unbuffered ECC 1.2 V CL17 2Rx8 Dual Rank 288 Pin UDIMM Server Memory RAM Module Upgrade (32 GB KIT (2 x 16 GB)

or 

2x Memory DDR4 16GB PC3200 VENGEANCE LPX BLACK CMK16GX4M1E3200C16 CORSAIR MEMORY CORSAIR DDR4 16GB 1X16GB PC 3200 VENGEANCE LPX if ECC is not crucial. 

6. HDD will be WD Red plus - 4 HDDs 8 TB.

7. EVGA Supernova 650 GT, 80 Plus Gold 650 W (in order if a decide to put some dedicated GPU for some other reason.)

Questions.

1. Is the integrated iGPU in 12400 enough for 4k transcoding and playback of h264 and h265? Do i need a dedicated GPU.

2. I read there are some issues with the 12gen Intels, but i also read they are now addresed. Is this true.

3. ECC ram - is ECC ram that important? The data transfer will not be 24/7. The server will be addressed a couple of times a week.

4. Is 32 GB is enough for 32 TB storage. They will be upgradable to 64 if needed in the future.

5. SSD - 250 GB sticks for apps and 500gb for caching. Is this enough.

Have you put all those into pcpartpicker to make sure they are compatible?

Some answers

3. I ran for years without ECC and only have it with my latest rebuild of my main server. My backup server (from old parts) doesn't have ECC. Some will argue it is important if your data is important, but I suspect most don't have it.

4. How much RAM you need has nothing to do with how much storage you have. 32GB should be plenty for most purposes unless you have a lot of VMs.

5. That is basically how I do it, with 1x256 nvme fast pool as XFS for apps, and 2x500 SSD cache pool as btrfs raid1 mirror for caching. And I never get close to filling anything. You don't have to cache all user share writes. Do you expect to write more than 500GB daily after the initial load has been done?

Thank you very much. No i do not plan to write more than 500 gb daily No more than 100gb. I will use it for plex and windows VM. I plan eventually to run a windows VM. Maybe use it at some point for light gaming on my TV if i decide in the upcoming mounths to add a dedicated video card to the system.

Do i need the 2 SSD in mirror mode if I do not intend to delete my file before seeing them moved to the array? Because i was thinking of 500 gb for fast pool for apps, VMs and 500 gb for caching pool?