SMB with Active Directory - Enable Inheritance?

Dal

Doesn't Enable Inheritance work in Unraid when using SMB with Active Directory.

No matter how many times I try to turn it on it does not seem to stick.

And why are all shares set up with Full Control to Everyone as default?

image.png.bf7b1623ce43c76e448cbc69a8ed6769.png

I have tried different versions of Unraid, and right now I'm at Version: 6.11.0-rc3

Thanks

Edited by Dal

Just have to give up on this. It is too unstable.

Proper rights are set on the first folder, but not on subfolders. Enable inheritance does nothing.

Removing additional users that has been added later does not work, etc.

I'm starting to think Unraid was a bad idea for me. Sure, it's fun to run docker containers with the storage space to go with it.

But when it comes to granular security on the shares, it is horrible. Especially when comparing to AD.

That's why it was so interesting to be able to join the Unraid server into my AD domain to have a proper way to manage shares.

Too bad the implementation is so bad.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, Dal said:

Just have to give up on this. It is too unstable.

Proper rights are set on the first folder, but not on subfolders. Enable inheritance does nothing.

Removing additional users that has been added later does not work, etc.

I'm starting to think Unraid was a bad idea for me. Sure, it's fun to run docker containers with the storage space to go with it.

But when it comes to granular security on the shares, it is horrible. Especially when comparing to AD.

That's why it was so interesting to be able to join the Unraid server into my AD domain to have a proper way to manage shares.

Too bad the implementation is so bad.

For me, as an active directory unraid user, inheritance works fine, you just need to set the permissions that you plan to use before you copy files into the directory or the subfolders of the directory. When you say it doesn't seem to stick, what do you mean? 

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2022 at 7:39 PM, Evenimous said:

For me, as an active directory unraid user, inheritance works fine, you just need to set the permissions that you plan to use before you copy files into the directory or the subfolders of the directory. When you say it doesn't seem to stick, what do you mean? 

If i Enable Inheritance on existing folder, it does not stick. It goes back do disabling it.

It's probably true that if you set permissions forehand it will work. But if a docker container uses that share too, it will change

• 2 weeks later...

I have really struggled with AD permissions for a while now. It initially worked fine when I setup the server but sometime about 6-8 months ago something went pear-shaped and I've tried a bunch of things to fix it.

80% of the time when I reboot the unraid server the UID/GIDs change so permissions are wrong on the root shares.

I can't get Inheritance enabled no matter how many times I turn it on and Windows iterates through all of the files.

I really need a comprehensive tutorial on how unraid expects this to be configured, unix permissions and Windows permissions.

I have three unraid servers, one of which I'm using as a Windows file server for my users.

I'm seriously considering moving to FreeNAS in an attempt to get away from these issues.