Replacement drive messed up file structure

I'm hoping some of you have seen this issue before and have a fix or work around for it.

My system is using 7-data drives of different sizes from 3-12TB.  It also has 2-12TB parity drives and 1-2TB SSD cache drive.  I started getting nervous when I reached the 80%-full threashhold and decided to start replacing the smaller drives with 12-TB drives.  I replaced the first 4TB drive with a 12TB drive and was counting on the 2 parity drives rebuilding the data without errors.  When the rebuild was complete, most of the files were there, but thousands of files were missing.  While the files are missing when I use a Windows system to access the shared media, I can see the missing files when I log into the Unraid system and click on each drives media.  I've even tried mounting the old 4TB drive to see if the files were still there, but they were not.  Only the files I could see on the new drive were mirrored on the old drive. 

Since I can see the missing files, but can only access them manually through the Unraid system, I have decided to wipe the system clean, replace all the drives with 12TB drives and start over.  I have backed up all the files the Windows system can see to another system, but now need to back up all the thousands of files I can only see via the Unraid shell.  The challenge is to move those files, the only way I can move them is one file at at time by right clicking on each file and using the "copy file path" option.  This will take forever one file at a time.  Does anyone know how to move a batch of files within the Unraid system?  Remember, I cannot see the files via the regular file share system using a Windows machine or even a Unix file mover application.

Thank you in advance for any help and I would be happy to answer any questions.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Your proposed solution is unnecessarily time consuming, probably won't help, with the possibility of making things worse. You probably just have something misconfigured, and have completely misdiagnosed the cause of your problem.

attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

I appreciate your quick response, however I am fairly certain I do not have anything misconfigured.

The system has worked flawlessly for the past few years.  The only change was removing a 4-TB drive and replacing it with a 12-TB drive.  The 2 parity drives should have had no problem rebuilding the drive without messing up the file system.

You are absolutely correct my proposed solution will take forever.  This is why I am asking for a new solution from more experienced users than myself.

Edited by Alwezhpy
1 hour ago, Alwezhpy said:

The 2 parity drives should have had no problem rebuilding the drive without messing up the file system

Parity doesn't know anything about files or filesystems, and what you describe is not a messed up filesystem. If rebuild was corrupted the result would most likely be an unmountable filesystem. Can't really imagine anything rebuild could do that would result in what you describe.

Waiting for diagnostics, attach to your next post.

37 minutes ago, trurl said:

Parity doesn't know anything about files or filesystems, and what you describe is not a messed up filesystem. If rebuild was corrupted the result would most likely be an unmountable filesystem. Can't really imagine anything rebuild could do that would result in what you describe.

Waiting for diagnostics, attach to your next post.

From my perspective, it just seems like the missing files are just not shared.  I can see them in the proprietary Unraid system, but not from a shared view in other systems.  Again, this is why I am asking for help.  Thank you.

media-server-diagnostics-20220811-1841.zip

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your docker setup is less than ideal but we can leave that for later.

Can you show me a specific example of something you can see on the server but not on the network?

Yes, I deleted my Plex docker, then reinstalled it but did not set any parameters as I am going to wipe the system to prepare for the new drives (I will still use the 6 & 8TB drives).

I will take some screen captures and upload them.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:22 PM, trurl said:

Diagnostics doesn't show much about specific dockers. I was talking about your general setup for all dockers (and VMs).

Your appdata, domains, system shares are on the array, and your docker.img is much larger than necessary.

Hello trurl.  Since I was replacing most drives with higher capacity drives anyway, I just started a New Config and reinstalled everything but unraid itself.  I have attached the new diagnostics and would welcome any advice moving forward.  Currently, the system is just receiving a restore of media files (30TB) from a back up system and is running a new parity build.

Thank you in advance.

media-server-diagnostics-20220816-1624.zip

On 8/11/2022 at 10:22 PM, trurl said:

docker.img is much larger than necessary

60G docker.img is 2-3 times larger than needed. Have you had problems filling it? The usual reason for filling docker.img is an application writing to a path that isn't mapped.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:22 PM, trurl said:

appdata, domains, system shares are on the array

These latest diagnostics show appdata cache:prefer and all on cache as it should be.

You also want domains and system shares cache:prefer and all on cache.

Do you actually have an VMs?

Nothing can move open files, so you will have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings to get those moved after you set them cache:prefer. Then run mover. Mover won't move duplicates so there may be some manual cleanup.

Then

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Create_the_Docker_image_file

If these shares are on the array, docker/VM performance will be impacted by slower parity array, and array disks can't spin down since these files are always open.

13 hours ago, Alwezhpy said:

system is just receiving a restore of media files (30TB) from a back up system and is running a new parity build.

Wish you had asked for advice about that, I would have told you to wait until after initial data load to install parity. Initial data load would be faster without parity. Even worse, writing data while building parity is going to be even slower than writing data with parity already built.

Doesn't matter anyway, your logspace has completely filled due to multiple drive errors. Bad connections, SATA or power, most likely. Also, Marvell controllers are NOT recommended.