[6.10.3] Not utilizing full 10g bandwidth

Go to solution Solved by DovahDovolom,

So I upgraded my Dell R720 with a 10Gb NIC and I've always noticed for the past year that it never gets past 1Gb. I have a 10gigabit switch and have a 10gigabit card in my personal computer as well.

After a year of dealing with it I finally set out to find the issue. I installed open speed test server on the Unraid server as a docker and my personal computer. Using my roommate's computer (connected via 2.5Gb to the same switch) It was able to saturate his 2.5Gb local connection speed testing to my personal computer so I know it is not my computer that is limiting speed. When testing to the Unraid open speed test he was unable to go past a 1Gb connection. Besides using open speed test I have also tried moving a file through FTP to /tmp which from what i understand is directly to RAM.

Unraid recognizes the connection as 10gb (image attached of the command ethtool eth0). What can I do to utilize its full 10Gb connection? I can provide any more information if needed.

(Images included: Unraid ethtool result, Unraid net settings)

Screenshot 2022-08-12 213822.png

Screenshot 2022-08-12 214212.png

• Solution

After thinking really hard with that half COVID Information Technology degree I have, I think I know the issue. Like 90% sure. My server is on a server VLAN. The switch I use only actually has a 1Gb uplink to my router. Ubiquiti's Flex XG I use for my 10Gb switch does NOT support layer 3 so that data has to go back through the router to get to the correct VLAN leaving the uplink to the router the bottleneck... Curently using the second 10Gb port on that card to do to the same LAN as my PC and run the test again.

• Like 1