We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Newish Setup - Unraid VPN - Can't Access Other Devices

Hi, figured I'd check in and see if anyone has come across this issue. As soon as I add a peer, I get the following "Peer update required" message (no idea how to update peers, if that's what it wants me to do):

image.png.e49c98e59ddd971667735dcc10487c5b.png 

The VPN still seems to work, but I notice that every time I connect, I can't actually access any other devices. Internet works fine, but doing any local IPs doesn't seem to (aside from the Unraid server). These are the settings I use (defaults):

image.thumb.png.2a9fb23eb53967077022b28d7b4005bb.png

I came across a post saying I should maybe add "192.168.1.1/24" to the peer allowed IPs, so I did that and it ended up as "10.253.0.2, 192.168.1.1/24" in that field. After I applied that setting and got home later in the day, I noticed I couldn't actually access the Unraid server locally. I had to use my phone to VPN in (while disconnected from local wifi) and undo the setting, as it seemed like Unraid was denying every single connection that was internal (all apps, file sharing, etc were down). Not entirely sure why a VPN setting broke connections for devices that don't use VPN though.

Should I have not used the default settings? My networking knowledge is fairly limited, but my setup is basically ISP Modem (some random IP) -> My Router (192.168.1.1) -> Unraid (192.168.1.199). I have a few dockers set up and external access seems to work fine after port forwarding, though I did have to configure the ISP modem to forward traffic to my router way back before I was using Unraid. VPN connects fine as well, it's just the fact that I can't access other devices (like 192.168.1.15, .14, etc).

Thanks!

Edited by Octanum
12 hours ago, itimpi said:

Did you update the VPN settings on the remote devices (the peers) after you changed the settings at the Unraid end?

Well, definitely missed that bit 😀 Figured if Wireguard had the settings, the clients would just use those.

Due to that, also just realized that I can actually reach other devices. It's just dockers that are on the "custom" network that I can't reach (works locally, doesn't work on VPN). Possible that the "host access to custom networks" setting might fix it, though some people say it needs static routes on the router. Either way, seems to be working as expected (though I might have to start using port mapping instead of just giving everything its own IP).

Thanks again.

EDIT: Throwing this as an edit, since I don't want to bump. Tested out the "host access to custom networks" setting and now I actually can't access any local devices. The dockers work now though, so it seems like I have to choose between accessing dockers on the custom network or physical devices with that setting only.

Edited by Octanum