PSA: If you move your server to a totally different platform, consider flushing libvirt.img

I think this might fit in here, although it's also a hardware related topic ... you tell me or move accordingly.

Short intro: I was trying to move my server to a new mainboard, things went badly. (Xeon@Z97 -> Ryzen@B450)

Long intro:

After replacing the mainboard system started, array went up and I ended up with BTRFS errors. Things didn't make sense, I tried a different PCIe socket for the HBA, nothing helped. Today, my OCD kicked in and told me to get to the bottom of things, and I realized I never tried to start services step by step.

So this is what I did (new system):

• Start system (no auto-array)
  • Disable docker and VM
  • Start array, things look good.
  • Start docker, still all is well
  • Start VM service, and red alert it is.

So I disabled the two VMs that are on auto start since I assumed they did something to my system, but to no avail.

Then I renamed the old libvirt.img and had the system create a new one, and voila, there we are stable and sound.

I have since then added all my VMs back to the system, apart from minor issues that are h/w related (cannot passthrough the onboard sound), everything works now, in fact I am currently typing on a VM that passes the primary GPU (GTX960) through, and that's usually what causes a major headache.

So the conclusion is, if you are moving to an entirely different platform and are experiencing strange errors, check if it works with VM service disabled and if so, rename your libvirt.img and try again. If that doesn't help, you can easily revert, if it does, be as happy as I am now.

Cheers to all the lovely people here.