AMD 3950X CPU Low Frequency

I recently upgraded my Unraid machine from an Intel i5-6600k to a Ryzen 9 3950x. However, I noticed the 3950x seems to be capped at a frequency of 4250Mhz with PBO enabled (everything set to auto). I believe the advertised frequency should be 4.7Ghz, which is never seen even in single threaded workload. Here is a full parts list of my build.

CPU: 3950x

RAM: budget DDR4 2400Mhz CL 14, 8Gx2

MOBO: ROG Crosshair VIII hero

PSU: EVGA 750W 

GPU: GTX 1050

Drives: 4TBx4 WD purple + 1TB cache

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I guess, you need updated glasses 🙂

The 3950x normally runs at 3,7Ghz not 4,7!

then 4,25 you see sometimes is the short time boost frequency.

If you have very good cooling you MAY overclock the 3950x in Bios. I'm running the 3900x @ 4Ghz (normal would be 3,8), you can try 3,9 or even 4 if you are very bold and believe in your stable motherboard.

But, there are only small percentages to gain by taking high risks of failure. Better spend some buck and get some 3200 Ram (working one!), this gives a much better push.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, MAM59 said:

I guess, you need updated glasses 🙂

The 3950x normally runs at 3,7Ghz not 4,7!

then 4,25 you see sometimes is the short time boost frequency.

If you have very good cooling you MAY overclock the 3950x in Bios. I'm running the 3900x @ 4Ghz (normal would be 3,8), you can try 3,9 or even 4 if you are very bold and believe in your stable motherboard.

But, there are only small percentages to gain by taking high risks of failure. Better spend some buck and get some 3200 Ram (working one!), this gives a much better push.

Thanks for the advice! I see on AMD's website that the 3950x has a boost frequency of 4.7Ghz, but consider my 5900x in my desktop only runs around that frequency it makes sense for 3950x to run much slower.