Choosing a Motherboard

About 3 years ago when I built my server, I chose an Asus B450M-A + Ryzen2400G because I figured that's all I needed at the time. I've since decided I want to both expand my storage array with an HBA Card and pass through a NIC so I can virtualize my router. Maybe even throw in a GPU too. The problem is the B450M only has one PCIe slot so I'm going to have to upgrade at some point.

Some questions I have:

Does ECC work with consumer-grade Ryzen CPUs? I've heard conflicting information on this. I just bought x2 16TB drives and I'm looking to set up a new array for important data, so ECC is something I'm looking into, but I'd rather not invest in an expensive server-grade motherboard + CPU (all server motherboards seem to be expensive where I live).

Is DDR5 worth it for Unraid?

What are some good value for money motherboards that offer good power efficiency and lots of room for PCIe expansion?

• 1 month later...

It's up to the motherboard if it's ECC compatible - so pick the right motherboard and you're good. It's quite expensive with DDR5 ECC memory, but I would def. buy it if I was getting that gen - it will last for a while.. Maybe I'd start with just 2x 16gb tho because of the limited slots & the fact that you wanna get 32gb dimms to reach 128gb, something which is barely out on the market yet.