GPU fan control

Anyone has any experience with Nvidia GPU fan control on unRAID?? I have done some reasearch and my server is not headless i have a monitor connected to it and it is displaying unRAID GUI just fine also the GPU is not passed to any VM it is strictley for unRAID and docker use.

The fan speed is running at 128% and the card is cold as ice. i have tried this commands:

nvidia-xconfig --cool-bits=28 (or 4 or 31)

nvidia-settings -V -c :0 -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1 -a [fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=30

that should do the trick but all i am getting is this:

ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings --help` for usage information.

which means that your computer does not have a screen attached to it and it needs a new X server to be written to run headless anything that i have tried to do that does not work and errors out.

My card is a Nvidia Quadro P4000 and running the latest drivers and works fine other than the crazy fan speed

any one else has any experience with this or is knowledgable enough to help please chime in and help me out

thank you

• 1 month later...

Hi, I experience same behaviour with my quadro p600. The card is in state p8, idle for hours... avec le fan speed is between 34 and 36%. The card is at 30°.... so cold as ice.

Latest drivers installed. I wonder if we can control the fan speed with a script.

36% is a bit noisy.... during idle time, nothind is active except this fan.