Poor WIndows 11 VM Network Perfomance to/from the unraid when Mover is running.

mpiva

This happening for a long time, since Windows 10, updated virtIO several times. Current running version 100.90.104.21700 (2/23/2022).

The strange thing is, it's not related to the SSD cache. But entirely when mover is running VM virtio network goes down to 4 MB/S. IN/OUT the unraid.

Per example, if, I mount an external share from another computer in Unraid GUI, and start copying to unraid when mover is running I got 110 MB/S probably maxing the network. So there is no bottleneck on the SSD cache (2XSATA SSD in RAID-0).

Tweaked iothreadpin on the VM, with no improvements. I'm kinda baffled, where the bottleneck is, Running Ryzen 1700. CPU usage when mover is running is negligible. 

Of course I tested it without any load. And the issue remains.

Any clues, where the bottleneck exists?

Edited by mpiva

I partially fix the issue, following Matias Hueber's "Performance optimizations for gaming on virtual machines (mathiashueber.com)"

on his site, mentioned the topology of a Ryzen Processor .

image.thumb.png.0eafaf680971a79b6d759d3532815662.png

If you see his configuration it uses the second CCX for the guest

image.png.8767788279fb9e0439e69d870b0a7029.png

The strange thing, is the ordering is the same in the web UI. Which means cpuset = CPU number in UI. With the above all the HTs will be light up.

But notice the CPU pairing is CPU 0 and CPU 8, CPU 1 and CPU 9.

When in the above graphics the pairing is [CPU 0, CPU 1] [CPU 2, CPU 3]

image.png.55c8c99ad77b41085172efb00bcab432.png

So my question is, which one of this are wrong?

It seems the UI is showing the wrong pairing. I used the UI to create the cpuset, and seems that created the bottleneck.

IDK: if this also is replicated on CPU Pinning but since the UI is the same I guess so.  

Edited by mpiva