Hybrid 10GB/1GB NICs

UnCorp

I've been using Mellanox connect x3 10Gb card without any issues so far. But as it usually happens after the initial I'll never need more than this, I need to expand (yes, physically) I found a hybrid PCIe x8 IBM 00ND479 on eBay (2x 10Gb, 2x 1Gb). I can't seem to find any info on it regarding the chipset.

Does anyone know if the card works in unraid? Or does anyone have any experience with this hybrid nics in unraid (from other brands).

• 1 month later...

Well, I can answer my own question 🙂

I bought it anyways...unraid can detect the card - If I go to network settings, there are 4 interfaces listed, each with it own MAC address.

The problem is, that I can't get the link up - Plugging in the DAC, does nothing, but even plugging into the RJ45 port, i get no lights on the NIC or the switch... Hence the check cable warning in the unraid network settings...

Any Ideas in this case?

Well, here's what I have found out.

You need to press "port up" in the unraid network settings tab for every port to work. I, know, I know.....Duh!   I feel sheepy 🙂

One more interesting thing:

While almost tearing my pc apart, I've put in an old PCI-e gen 1 GPU in the fist PCI-e x16 slot on my taichi x570,  just to attach the monitor, but in that case, the computer did not detect my PCI-e x8 gen2 multiple NIC. It did however detect a mellanox gen3 single port 10GB nic in the same second PCI-e x16 slot.

It took me 4 hours to figure that connection out, so maybe it will be useful to someone.

• Upvote 1