Newbie VM questions

JP

My 11-year old unraid server recently died (MB, CPU, or RAM failure) so it seemed like a good time to upgrade.  Put together a new system with an I5-12400 CPU, 32 GBs of RAM, and an Asrock Steel Legend Z690 MB.  Works great and happy with it for my basic needs (i.e. media / general storage, transcoding, etc.).

As meager as this server might seem to many people here, it is actually the most powerful PC we now have in the house.  Most of the tasks on my computers aren't demanding and I'm not a gamer, but there is one thing I do where I could use the extra processing power, that is, 4K video editing with Davinci Resolve.  Most of the time this is for family videos.

Having only basic knowledge of VMs, I have a few questions before attempting to pursue this:

• Would this even be worth the trouble?  I could buy a GPU to help with 4K playback and scrubbing the timeline and I know by doing the VM, I'm probably going to take a 5-10% hit on processing power by doing it through a VM, but again, it is still the most powerful PC we have in the house so I'm trying to take advantage of it, if I can.
  • I thought about testing this first without purchasing a GPU to see how it works, but I see some other posts referring with issues leveraging the IGP.  Is that possibly a non-issue or am I likely to run into major issues attempting to get the IGP to work with a VM and I might just better off getting the GPU and starting from there?
  • Now for a big newbie question.  I see others using a VM for gaming.  I'm worried about lag when attempting to edit a 4K video via a VM.  Is that a legitimate concern?  Are gamers connecting monitors and peripherals directly to the server or are they accessing the VM from another PC and playing games from a distance?  I would think the lag issue might really be prevalent when attempting to access the VM over the network, rather than directly connected to the server, but I just don't know how this is being leveraged by most.  Any insight would help.  

Thanks again for any help, recommendations, and/or guidance.