Unraid on ASUSTORE AS6704T

BarbaGrump

1 hour ago, boggydigital said:

IIRC they were in the range of 55-59C

Other than replacing the fan - I'm not really sure what I can do to lower drives temperature 😞 

Yeah, other than that there's no much you can do to increase air flow in small, restrictive cases...

Short of removing the case panel or cutting holes for more fans etc...

A high static-pressure fan might help somewhat.

But probably won't make any difference since the existing fan pulls air out.

The product's webpage mentions of increased ventilation for SSDs.

Probably done at the cost of reduced air-flow to HDDs.

You might want to experiment with blocking out perforations on the top side which might allow more air to enter through the front.

Edited by Lolight

Circling back on the new fan (just in case that'll help somebody in the future!) - seems like it helped.

I've got 1300rpm 3-pin fan (Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300). You want to make sure to cut off plastic guides (there's two on one side) as it won't fit in the pin socket otherwise. Also (perhaps obvious to everybody, wasn't obvious to me) you want to use the 3 rightmost pins for a connection, the fan doesn't work with three leftmost pins. When connected, assembled and turned on - the fan is pretty quiet. Perhaps slightly louder than stock fan working at 700rpm, certainly not 2x louder. UnRaid reports ~1300rpm.

Alright time for numbers - as a reminder, before the new fan I've had 55-59C during parity sync. Now, parity sync has been running for > 3 hours and it's been hovering at 50C for all three drives, so it seems like it helped quite a bit. I won't have a chance to observe idle temps before parity sync is done and expect them to be in 40-45C range now (at ambient 28-29C) . SSD temps also seem lower at about 41C used (vs 45C).

I'll keep observing and will reply back if something changes.

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, boggydigital said:

Perhaps slightly louder than stock fan working at 700rpm, certainly not 2x louder. UnRaid reports ~1300rpm.

Alright time for numbers - as a reminder, before the new fan I've had 55-59C during parity sync. Now, parity sync has been running for > 3 hours and it's been hovering at 50C for all three drives, so it seems like it helped quite a bit. I won't have a chance to observe idle temps before parity sync is done and expect them to be in 40-45C range now (at ambient 28-29C) . SSD temps also seem lower at about 41C used (vs 45C).

I'll keep observing and will reply back if something changes.

Is the stock fan constant speed?

Then yeah, a higher rpm fan will definitely make a difference.

Sorry, I've assumed that the stock fan is adjustable and is already running maxed out.

Edited by Lolight
19 minutes ago, Lolight said:

Is the stock fan constant speed?

It seems like it was locked into low-rpm mode and never went higher despite higher temperatures, I couldn't find specs on Asustor website, however I do see they claim various fan operation modes. I never used ADM and can only guess that it's quite like Synology's DSM which did have various fan operation modes.

UnRaid reported ~700rpm for the stock fan, and I assumed that this lack on rpm variability is an (Community Apps) ITE IT87 Driver limitation. Either way - 1300rpm fan certainly helps, it's been > 4 hours since the start of parity sync and the temperature is still locked at about 50C for all three HDDs. SSDs also been stable at 40C. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...