Server "halts" after HP P440 bound to vfio

Hi fellow unRaiders,

Hope I post into the right category. ^_^ I recently bought a HP Smart Array P440 RAID card (in HBA mode) that I want to use in my HP ML150 G9 server to pass some SSD-s to a TrueNAS VM.

My issue is that when I boot up unRaid WITHOUT the P440 bount to vfio than everything works fine, unraid sees the card and the attached SSDs (through 8x SFF backplain), but when I go to setting, select the card and reboot the system after unRaid loads, the server just stops working:

- fans go to 100%

- iLo shows a "PCI bus error"

- I can click around in the unRaid UI, but can't do much

- sometimes I can start the array, but VMs and Docker containers stop automatically

- if I try shut down the system I can see that unRaid unmounts the filesystem, but the server never stops

I also have a HP P822 that I use for an external HDD shelf and that works like a charm.

I've tried some basic troubleshooting steps: updated unraid (to 6.11.1), bios and raid card firmware (v2.92 and 7.0). I might get access to a similar server in the next weeks (in order to eliminate misc mb issues), but it is not garateed. In the mentime maybe some of you have an idea what to do.

Please let me know if somebody has any idea what should I try to configure. Thanks in advance!

coruscant-diagnostics-20221030-2151.zip

Edited by csard
  • csard changed the title to Server "halts" after HP P440 bound to vfio