Re-use of a HP DC7700 with V-PRO and Q965 express / ICH 8 D0 chip

Rembro

Just wanted to let everyone know,,if you are searching just as me for a second Unraid server ( Small drive build/low budget/low power)

i think i found something

I found a business pc HP DC7700 convertable midi-tower pc to be ( sort of) compatible with UnRaid,, for the moment just a 3 drive build for further testing with  build 5beta7

specs:

Case: very robust,,and heavy,, high quality thick steel, just a discrete midi-tower, maybe a little boring for some.

Micro-atx  

socket 775 , standard with core 2 duo 6300 , but i put in a low power Celeron 430 and after a bios-upgrade (V03.05) it's being recognized properly.

and updated the V-pro ME firmware,, , but do it in the right order!! first the V-Pro Me firmware and secondly the normal Bios , than you should not get any problems using V-pro.

Standard 92mm cpu cooler is 4 wire PWN and quiet

Case Cooler is 92 mm and 4 wire PWN and quiet

385 watt Power-supply 80 plus power efficiency with active PFC ( not single rail, but still 14.5 A and 12A maximum load @ 12V

Intel PRO 82566DM gigabit onboard NIC

Intel Q965/Q963 express chipset ICH8 D0 , (isn't this the same as the Asus P5B-VM DO Lime-Tech Official recommended board) i also want a working S3

Onboard VGA

4 x SATA

4 x DDR 2 SLOTS

1 x PCI-E 16X

1 x PCI-E X1

2 x PCI  

Quick Boot from USB

Built in V-PRO AMT/ME SOL chip for remote management in BIOS, remote on/off , got it working with free Radmin viewer 3

Case has 3 5.25 slots , so put in a cheap coolermaster 4 in 3 (STB-3T4-E3-GP) and a 8 dollar ebay 2 ports sata card

together with the standard capacity of 2 x  3.5 HDD , you will have room for 6 drives with the standard case (4 data drives + cache + parity , 8TB or without cache drive 10TB

Mainbord partnumber 404673-001

This seems the right picture of the mainbord

http://www.comused.com/media/06/a20792b12fe548e987c7e3_m.JPG

Anyone else running a DC7700 (RN122ET) with unraid?

Any comments / remarks for this setup,, and to get S3 working are welcome

• 2 weeks later...

Archived