Migrating 13tb of data from FreeNAS to unRAID

Hello all,

I've started the great migrations - migrating my 13tb ZFS array on FreeNAS to my brand new unRAID.  In the past when I've done transfers from NAS to NAS, I've used my Mac as a go between.  I know it's not the best way to do it and that RSync would probably be better, but it's always helped me to see exactly what's being transferred.  In the past, I've used the 'ditto' command to copy stuff over which seemed sufficient if you didn't have any data already existing on the new share.  What I find is if I use ditto after I've copied 100 folders, it will overwrite what's in those folders because it thinks it's different.  Ditto is supposed to merge tho!  I've falled back to Chronosync, which while it is a great app, is kind of slow when it comes to this operation. 

So, is it best for me to mount the FreeNAS share (I do have NFS/SSH on my FreeNAS box) in unRAID and do a sync that way?  RSYNC seems like it would be the way to go but I don't know where to start.  I would also need to know how to mount the FreeNAS share in unRAID.  Thanks ahead of time!

Rsync would likely be a better option, but I'm not the one to walk you through that.  Personally, I like to keep things as simple as possible even if they aren't the fastest way to get things done.  In your shoes, I would use Teracopy on Windows with CRC checks enabled to do the transfer.  I'm not sure if there's a Mac equivalent of Teracopy or not.  If there isn't, then you could just use the default Mac file transfer and then run MD5 checks on all the data afterwards.

Thanks for the info. 

I can't mount the NFS shares on my FreeNAS.  It keeps saying "Permission Denied" even though I have the share set as Public.  Looking that error up, it seems that it could be that the server isn't exporting that share.  I'm using v5.0 b7 (need to support my IBM BR10i's).  Wonder if it's a beta bug.

• 1 month later...

I am curious as to what made you move from freenas to unraid.  I am new to the whole storage thing, up until now I have just had a bunch of drives in a windows box, so no data protection at all apart from backups at times.

Over the last week I have read quite a bit and unraid is definitely the most flexible, being able to just take add drives of any size without issue but one parity disk for 20 drives is not many.

ZFS/zraid seems to be the ultimate file system/raid as far as data integrity goes, detecting bitrot, self healing, no write hole etc etc.

I'm currently using unraid but thinking of looking further at freenas just for more valuable files that i don't want ever getting corrupted but need access to...

Did you move to unraid just for the ease of use/flexibility?