D3D12 Crashes When Launching or Playing Some Games

gehenna

Hello, I have an Unraid server in my basement that's running a Windows 11 VM with an EVGA 3080 passed through to the VM, and a 2TB M.2 passed through for the system drive.  There is an HDMI cable and USB-C cable coming up through the floor to the lounge TV to display the desktop.  It's only about a 3 metre distance through the floor, so it's not a long cable.  The USB connects to a little hub behind the TV that has my various dongles attached (Xbox controller / BlueTooth / headphones / etc).

This has worked perfectly well for a while, never any reason to think the VM was anything but perfect given its super responsive and stable.  But then I noticed when I got Gotham Knights (I know) it won't launch properly.  It loads through the splash screen and into the main menu, but then crashes with the following:

"A call to D3D12 API Failed with D3D HRESULT error code: 887A0005 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG.  Please try updating your GPU drivers.  Exiting..."

This also happens in The Callisto Protocol which I got a few days ago, but I am able to get into the game and play for a while before it happens, usually 10 mins or so, or until there is something on screen that triggers it (holograms seem to).

I've Googled and followed most advice about this from the Windows side.  Nothing has helped (disabling Steam overlay etc).  I am now wondering if this is an issue with the GPU passthrough given the error is about the device being removed and hanging.  But, the picture on my screen never wavers - i.e. there's never any issue with the Windows GUI - it's always there and stable.

Please let me know if there are any files I should attach to help with this, I'll pull those today and upload them.  I should add this works fine on my other PC with RTX3060 Ti, no crashes at all.  That's a standalone PC, not a VM.  

Edited by gehenna

No I followed a more recent SpaceInvaderOne video and IIRC didn't require a VBIOS to get it working the way I did.  I wonder if it's a DX12 issue as DX11 games are stable.  I also have a PCI 4.0 riser cable connecting my GPU if that matters.  It's a reliable cable I've used before, but I had considered swapping GPU's between machines to test.

Edited by gehenna
No I followed a more recent SpaceInvaderOne video and IIRC didn't require a VBIOS to get it working the way I did.  I wonder if it's a DX12 issue as DX11 games are stable.  I also have a PCI 4.0 riser cable connecting my GPU if that matters.  It's a reliable cable I've used before, but I had considered swapping GPU's between machines to test.
Have you looked at MSI interrupts ?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I've moved the GPU from the riser cable directly to the PCIe x16 slot (the first one so full bandwidth).  It's working fine again for everything except this error that continues when launching Gotham Knights or after a while in Callisto.  Super annoying now that I've removed the only other thing that I suspected might be faulting.  I think I'll swap it with the 3060 tonight and at least eliminate one of the GPU's being at fault.

Checked the VM event viewer at my most recent crash and have seen three events logged simultaneously, searching back it seems this is consistent with crash timings:

Source: nvlddmkm 

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\Video4
Error occurred on GPUID: 300

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

also

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

\Device\Video4
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x407020=0x1000 0x407028=0x0 0x40702c=0x1094317f 0x407030=0x0

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

\Device\Video4
Graphics Exception: SKEDCHECK05_LOCAL_MEMORY_TOTAL_SIZE failed

Edited by gehenna
  • 10 months later...