new build, trying to optimize power consumption. C-state issues

Gimli

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a new unraid (6.11.5) server but before actually getting started, I wan't my system to be as optimized for power as possible.

My (currently installed) hardware:
Intel Core i3-10105, stock cooler

MSI B560M BAZOOKA (mATX), latest BIOS A70

32GB (2x16) DDR4 @3000MHz

Corsair SF450 450W

Nanoxia DeepSilence 4 with 2 stock fans installed

1TB SanDisk Ultra 3D Nvme

256GB old OEM Samsung Nvme salvaged from laptop

2TB Intenso SSD

12TB WD Ultrastar DC HC520 (huh721212ale604)

I'm measuring the power with one of those WIFI smart plugs.

I've adjusted all settings in BIOS, like max C-State=C10, turn off LED+Audio, ErP enabled, ASPM L0sL1, EIST & SpeedStep/SpeedShift on, etc...

With the array stopped and the HDD spun down, I'm getting a consumption of 17W. From what I've read around here this is too much

Can somebody help me out? Thanks

I'm mainly wondering if it has to do with the C-states, as powertop shows this. Also I've never seen the Pkg below C2.

http://powertop.png

and this command also only lists up to C3. What the deal with that _ACPI suffix? Other people on the forums didn't have that.

grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state*/name
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state0/name:POLL
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state1/name:C1_ACPI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state2/name:C2_ACPI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state3/name:C3_ACPI

This is my output for ASPM 

http://aspm.png

grep "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo   showed me that the frequency wouldn't go below 3700MHz, no idea why as nothing was running/active/

After installing Tips & Tweaks plugin and setting governor to powersafe, some cores drop down to 800 but other are still at 3700

http://freq.png

More information 

grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuidle/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuidle/available_governors:ladder menu 
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuidle/current_driver:intel_idle
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuidle/current_governor:menu
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuidle/current_governor_ro:menu

Not sure if relevant, but I'm getting a few of those lines in the syslog

Dec  7 11:51:18 Tower kernel: i2c i2c-5: sendbytes: NAK bailout.
Dec  7 11:55:24 Tower kernel: i2c i2c-5: sendbytes: NAK bailout.
Dec  7 11:57:14 Tower kernel: i2c i2c-5: sendbytes: NAK bailout.
Dec  7 11:58:14 Tower kernel: i2c i2c-5: sendbytes: NAK bailout.
Dec  7 11:59:21 Tower kernel: i2c i2c-5: sendbytes: NAK bailout.
Dec  7 12:00:05 Tower kernel: i2c i2c-5: sendbytes: NAK bailout.

Edited by Gimli

ok I found the issue. Turns out that Intenso SSD prevents higher C states. Without it I can reach C9. 

While that sucks, I'm saving 5W without it. But I have another Intenso SSD, tested it and same story... Not gonna buy Intenso ever again.

Still need to decide if the power savings are worth getting 2 new drives...the math doesn't really check out though

• 4 weeks later...

actually it looks like the Intenso SSDs were not the problem. I ordered new SATA SSDs to replace the Intensos, model is Apacer AS350X and google said their controller can do sleep, etc

I've just unplugged both Intenso SSDs and plugged in one of the Apacer (it's still in unassigned devices) but my deep C state is gone.

Is it a SATA thing? Do all SATA SSDs prevent deep C states?

• 4 weeks later...

No man, just the cheap ones. Stop buying never-heard-before branded SSD and buy a nice Samsung, or at least a crucial, instead.
Yes it's usually more costly but they have better controller, memory chip, last longer, have better warranty etc.. And they don't cheap out on things like Deep sleep.

If you have some kind of protection, like the paypal one, i usually buy used. I know that with hard disk you can't never actually say if they tell the truth about the use or not but with s.m.a.r.t. control and paypal customer support you can easily send it back if "it's new" and has 2years of use on his back.

To be honest i never tried the above mentioned brand, but looking into them they seems and sound really cheap, with technology and I.T in general the rules of thumbs I follow it's to buy one of the well known brand after a 20 min DYOR with reviews for performance and customer experience. Saving 5-8 bucks doesn't sit well with me at the expense of function and durability.

Edit: i see it's a kinda old post, hope you have solved in the meantime

Edited by lory995
  • 10 months later...