Need more lanes I think...Ryzen?

Hi all,

My hardware has changed so much over the years from a i9 and 3080Ti setup so I could also game under a VM etc but now I have settled for the following:

• Current
  • Intel i5-8400
  • Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1060 6GB GPU
  • M.2 240 SSD (For Windows VM - Blue Iris etc))
  • M.2 240 SSD (For Docker)
  • 2 x 500GB SSD (2 for Cache)
  • LSI HBA in IT (to the 8 x 8TB via backplanes)

I have run out of PCIe planes and I either want to buy a separate gaming PC or have a combined server and gaming VM (one before that worked well). If I was going to go down the gaming route I was thinking of using Ryzen for more lanes and two GPU's, one Intel Arc of Plex transcoding and a 4090 for gaming VM. I could also add the following which his not possible before

• Option 1 (Ryzen NAS/Gaming)
  • Ryzen CPU (high spec)
  • Creator-type motherboard with loads of PCIe slots
  • 64GB DDR4 RAM
  • 2 x 1TB SSD (2 for Cache)
  • Intel Arc GPU (for Quickstream)
  • Nvidia 4090 (for Windows VM)
  • Dual 10gbe SFP+ card - MIGHT NOT BE NEEDED IF M'Board has 10gbe (I have two other computers around the house that have 10gbe ethernet sockets as they are plugged into the 10gbe switch)
  • LSI expander card (I have more than 8 drives now and the current LSI HBA only has room for 8 drives without an expander)

Most people will say that due to being a VM it will suffer but last time using a 10900k (IIRC) and 3080Ti there was less than 5% drop in performance over bare metal. Also, when not using the VM or Plex I take it the Intel Arc and Nvidia GPU would not use much power unless being used? I know using a Ryzen would be more over than a i5-8400 but that's manageable. 

If I was not to bother with a combined unit then I guess I could alter my original setup to add in the 10gbe NIC and Expander like below. Would I have enough lanes for everything including the M.2 drives?:

• Option 2 (modification of current)
  • Intel i5-8400
  • Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • M.2 500 SSD (Cashe)
  • LSI HBA in In IT mode
  • LSI expander card
  • Dual 10gbe SFP+ card

Using the above I would lose access to my windows VM which is not the end of the world but would have been nice to keep it going. 

I would LOVE to run a 12900k with the following but I don't think I have enough lanes (20) to make it happen:

• Option 3 (Intel NAS/Gaming)
  • Intel i9 12900
  • Creator-type motherboard with loads of PCIe slots
  • 64GB DDR5 RAM
  • 2 x 1TB SSD (2 for Cache)
  • Nvidia 4090 (for Windows VM)
  • Dual 10gbe SFP+ card - MIGHT NOT BE NEEDED IF M'Board has 10gbe (I have two other computers around the house that have 10gbe ethernet sockets as they are plugged into the 10gbe switch)
  • LSI HBA in IT mode
  • LSI expander card (I have more than 8 drives now and the current LSI HBA only has room for 8 drives without an expander)

I would really love to have a mixed-use server with all the expansions I need and don't really want to spend another £1K+ on a second build really. Running Windows or Linux under a VM has always been great for me but I dont think the Intel CPU's have enough lanes and Ryzen has no Quicksync so would have to add a Intel Arch card or older unlocked Nvidia for Plex and run two cards.

Intel i9 12900 would be perfect but as im using M.2's and quite a few expansions then I think I would limit the speeds somewhat?

Any advise would be grand!

PS, I would LOVE a motherboard with IMPI instead of having to make the cold trip outside and all the way to the garage to reboot/troubleshoot so I think that would mean a Xeon CPU? Happy with that also but again, intel or unlocked Nvidia would be needed as I would want to run a 4090 also.

Cheers also!