Unraid crashes during data rebuild

Go to solution Solved by dtempleton,

Hi;

I'm running 6.11

I've had three unraid OS crashes while trying to do a data rebuild from a failed drive.  After about 3 hours of an 8 hour expected rebuild the system just goes offline.  The server seems to work ok for these hours until the crash.  I can't access it via ssh or the GUI, and can't get a diagnostic report.  I have to restart with the reboot button.  The last time it was in safe mode. 

Edit:  I learned how to turn on "Mirror syslog to flash" and I'll report back...

I finally for a syslog from the crash, it's below.  I don't see many errors except a failed time synch.  The crash seems to come at about the same percent data rebuild, so it could be related to a disk access error but I don't see evidence of that.

I'll try booting the server but not mounting the array

Thanks for any advice in advance

syslog20221215.zip

Edited by dtempleton
update with syslog
  • Solution

OK, I figured this one out myself.

The symptoms of crashing were not related to the parity rebuild, but coincidental.

The syslog held the key- this several-times repeating error: ntpd[1135]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized

I found a post on Reddit that suggested turning off ntpd auto update, but that did nothing.  However one post there said "check your motherboard battery", so I did that.

Replacing the battery on the motherboard prevented any subsequent UNRAID OS crashes.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

Dennis

• Like 1