Rack: Thermaltake RC2300101A

HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 x3

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430

RAM: Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2

Cable: SATA2 Serial ATA II PCI-Express RAID Controller Card

Case:  Cooler Master CAC-T05-UW

Total Cost: $533

Hello all!

I'm a first time NAS builder and I have a couple questions for the experts.  First off, this build is basically the suggested budget tower with a few modifications because certain parts were sold out. So I'm sure this build will work, but I'm wondering if its optimal.

Currently the Rack and HDDs are 6gb/s capable, but the Mobo/Cable isn't.  Is it worth is to upgrade the Mobo/Cable to try and use that extra speed?  If so which one? Also should I add something for a cache drive?  I will be using this NAS for mostly media, and have it at as a server for certain python based programs. Also I would like to use it as a Plex media server once that is stable.  Should I then upgrade the CPU?

Sorry for all the questions, every time I seem to try and build a system I screw up somehow.

Thank you!

P.S. I'm starting out with just one Rack and 3 HDDs just to save money as I don't think I'll fill 4Tb very quickly.

Edit: Forgot cable

Currently the Rack and HDDs are 6gb/s capable, but the Mobo isn't.  Is it worth is to upgrade the Mobo to try and use that extra speed?

No, do not worry about it.  Most modern non SSD drives barely saturate SATA 1 speeds.

If so which one? Also should I add something for a cache drive?  I will be using this NAS for mostly media, and have it at as a server for certain python based programs. Also I would like to use it as a Plex media server once that is stable.  Should I then upgrade the CPU?

If you plan to eventually run Plex then a CPU upgrade would be in order, and if you want to run other apps besides just unRAID then a cache drive is probably a good idea.

If you plan to eventually run Plex then a CPU upgrade would be in order, and if you want to run other apps besides just unRAID then a cache drive is probably a good idea.

Do I need a special rack for the cache drive, or can I plug it strait into the raid card/mobo/cable thing. (Never done raid as well)

Would something like this AMD Athlon II X2 work with that mobo / be powerful enough?

Also thank you for the quick reply.

Do I need a special rack for the cache drive, or can I plug it strait into the raid card/mobo/cable thing. (Never done raid as well)

Nope, it will work so long as it is somehow plugged into the motherboard.

Would something like this AMD Athlon II X2 work with that mobo / be powerful enough?

Any dual core should work.  Just make sure it will work with the motherboard.  The motherboard is AM2+/AM2 and the AM3 CPU you listed should work.  I don't think you will have any problem.

Also thank you for the quick reply.

A hot swap drive bay is not required for the cache drive, but you may choose to use one if you want to make replacing or upgrading that drive easier.  The parity drive and cache drive should be plugged into the motherboard whenever possible, but they can be plugged into the controller card as well.  The CPU you chose is fine, but note that it doesn't ship with a heat sink or fan.

Archived