ECS 945GCT-M/1333

j5428

Onboard LAN is a Realtek 8101E for the ECS945GCT-M unRAID will boot and work with the onboard NIC but DVD playback stutters.  I tried to install a Linksys LNE100TX, 3Com 3C905-TX, and a Netgear FA311 Rev-D2.  None of them will get an IP address when I boot unRAID.  These are just old NIC's I had laying around has anyone got one of these cards to work with unRAID?  Is there something I can change to get opne of them working?  Thanks for any help.

I *think* any of those three should work, they are quite common.  Did you remember to disable the onboard LAN before testing the 3 NIC's?

How do you know that the onboard NIC is not working correctly?  There are a lot of causes for stutter in playback.  I would time some transfers to and from unRAID, and determine the read and write speed.  Assuming those are all 100Mb/sec cards, the top possible speed is 12.5MB/sec, more typical is 8 to 10MB/sec.

Edit: you posted before I finished.  If 4.0 works better, then your 8101E may be trying to use the bad Realtek driver in 4.2.  Using 4.0 or 4.3 when it arrives should work better.

I did have the onboard lan disabled when testing all three cards.  Is there anything that needs to be changed in a config file for the cards to work or should an IP just appear after unRAID boots?

I ordered a NIC with a RTL8169S-32 chip on it.  The WIKI says that one is compatible.

Update:  You cannot add a SATA drive running version 4.0 with this motherboard.  I had 2 IDE drives setup as data.  I went to add a SATA for parity and it crashes as soon as you select the drive for parity.  I re-installed 4.2.1 and it allowed me to add the SATA drive but the DVD playback stuttering problem came back.  I will just have to wait until my new NIC arrives.

Archived