UNRAID FOR NEWBIE

cbeitel
Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hi all!

Happy new year :)

I come back as I tested UNRAID years ago and it was not what I was looking for. But today, I got a not so 'old' configuration on which I would like to give it a try again. I looked about the official tutorial but I don't really understand how UNRAID works, as the array/pools too.

Just to know: I'm a user of VMware ESXi. So maybe I'm not understanding how UNRAID works because I compare both of them. Maybe that's why.

So, here is my config:

- MB: MSI B360 Gaming Plus

- RAM: 64 GB

- CPU: Core i9 9900k

- 4 SSD Samsung 870 QVO - 2TB

- 1 SSD Samsung 840 PRO Series - 256 GB

- 1 SSD KINGSTON - 240 GB - NVMe

- 1 USB Key Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 - 32 GB

- some Ethernet Cards (cards and USB to Eth.)

How I would like to configure my server:

- about the 4 SSD 2TB --> 1 for Parity / 3 in the array (used as 'data' for my files, hosted on Windows Server, for example)

- about the Samsung 256GB SSD --> in the array too (this one to install the 'system' OS disk (ie. Windows))

- about the NVMe 240 GB --> use it as 'cache' pool

- about the USB Key --> use it for the ISOs (so I want to move the isos system share to this only one)

I tried lot of configs and it not seems to work as I would. The cache still keep the files, and then they are copied in the array. But not in the USB Key as I configured it (in the isos share, i told it to only use Disk5, and not use the others). I continue to test other config.

Secondly, It seems that my server is not 'connected' to MyServers. And in my UNRAID, where my avatar is, I got this error:

"My Servers error: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data."

As I got a Trial License, I only got 30 days to test UNRAID and choose if I stay on it or not. So, not a so long period for me.

So, please, many advices are welcome :)

Thanks a lot

V.

Edited by cbeitel
  • Solution
3 hours ago, cbeitel said:

- about the 4 SSD 2TB --> 1 for Parity / 3 in the array (used as 'data' for my files, hosted on Windows Server, for example)

From the manual: (    https://wiki.unraid.net/Articles/Getting_Started#Assigning_Devices_to_the_Array_and_Pool.28s.29    )

image.png.aecfb29d1fab0246fe37616130b9bb55.png

SSDs may work over the short haul but not for long periods of time for the reason stated. 

3 hours ago, cbeitel said:

The cache still keep the files, and then they are copied in the array.

Have you found this setting?

image.thumb.png.3484319bf9916d908bdc5a053de11299.png

4 hours ago, cbeitel said:

about the USB Key --> use it for the ISOs (so I want to move the isos system share to this only one)

As a general rule, You should only use the boot drive for the storage of the the basic Unraid installation software.  The experience of of Unraid users is that USB flash drives usually have a very limited life if subjected to multiple write cycles.  (Your Unraid key is tied to the unique GUID registration code of that particular UBS flash drive.)   If you want to use a flash drive for storage, investigate the use of the Unassigned Devices plugin which is designed for this purpose.  (No, this plugin will not make USB flash drives last longer!  😏 )

As a side note, Unraid is installed on a 'RAM' disk from scratch every time the system is booted up.  After the bootup is completed, Unraid virtually ignores the flash drive until the system is shutdown.  At this point, Unraid writes a flag to a file indicating a 'proper' shutdown has happened.