How to Recover data from Raid 5

rocky
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have one unraid  server with version is 6.9.2.  3 disks were setup a Raid 5 to storage my file, suddenly one of my disk showed "unmountable : no file syste", I tried to use xfs_repair -v /dev/sdf command to fix it, unlucky failed with error message as following.  How  can do to recovery my  data by one disk and one parity disk. Thanks a lot

root@Tower:/dev# xfs_repair -v /dev/sdf
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...
.found candidate secondary superblock...
unable to verify superblock, continuing...
.........................................................................................................................................................................................

• Solution

FYI:  I think you mean disk1 in the main Unraid array?   Just checking as that array is not using RAID5 (and hence the name Unraid).

In terms of checking/repairing disk1 then the easiest way to proceed is to do it from the GUI as described here in the online documentation.   

If you must do it from the command line then you should have used /dev/md1 as the target device since this would preserve parity.   Luckily your command was wrong in that it had the wrong target device (it should have been /dev/sdf1) as that would have invalidated parity.

• Like 1

I stopped the array with maintenance mode  and cmd line "xfs_repair -vL /dev/md1" , finally reboot the machine, It comes back. Thanks a lot. I still have an issue "Libvirt Service failed to start.". Do  you have any idear about it? Highly  appreciate for your support