corrupted flash drive

dengj

Hey 

there was a power outage and my unraid was not on a ups so it crashed.

upon trying to boot it back up, it hangs on bzroot…ok and doesn’t post. safe mode doesn't work either.

I plugged the flash drive into my windows pc and it reads as a generic “usb drive”. windows file explorer can’t open this drive and hangs. it seems that anything that interacts with it hangs

so I think the flash drive is corrupted and I’m looking for advice on how to proceed because i’m a noob.

i’m thinking that i should reflash the flash drive then copy over a backup and replace the contents. would this suffice? is there someway to fix it or a better approach?

thanks.

I don't need to do any key transfer or transfer anything else? 

Is the flash drive becoming corrupt just a random chance when crashing? It has crashed before but never corrupted

is the quality of the flash drive (16gb cruzer dial) related to the corruption or crashes in general?

and is this type of behaviour with a corrupted drive normal? my pc glitches out and becomes unusable when trying to open it

thanks,

7 hours ago, dengj said:

key transfer

If you use a different flash drive than the one your license key is registered to, then you need to transfer.

7 hours ago, dengj said:

my pc glitches out and becomes unusable when trying to open it

Can your PC reformat it?

7 hours ago, dengj said:

Is the flash drive becoming corrupt just a random chance when crashing? It has crashed before but never corrupted

is the quality of the flash drive (16gb cruzer dial) related to the corruption or crashes in general?

flash drive corruption generally doesn't cause crashes, and crashes don't generally corrupt flash. Sometimes you will see FSCK files on flash where Unraid repaired some corruption. Just keep a current backup of flash and you can deal with it.

Are you booting from USB2 port? USB2 is often more reliable and there is no advantage to USB3 speed for this use.

13 hours ago, trurl said:

Can your PC reformat it?

No, windows 10 edu cant read from the drive at all. when I tried to open it with files explorer, it hangs and becomes unresponsive. Trying to close file explorer afterwards introduces graphical glitches like missing taskbar and blank wallpapers (although some programs are still run like chrome). To switch programs I just alt+tab. The alt+tab style changed to win xp style (idk if its relevant). A imager like raspberry pi imager is able to identify the drive though so I could just wipe it.

13 hours ago, trurl said:

Are you booting from USB2 port? USB2 is often more reliable and there is no advantage to USB3 speed for this use.

I was booting from a USB3.0 port, I'll change to a USB2 port now 

thanks

On 2/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, trurl said:

Not what I asked. Often you can right-click on the drive to format it without actually trying to read it.

oh i didn't know that. 

it still hangs though. when i right click it, the file explorer becomes unresponsive 

I guess you will have to use another.

On 1/31/2023 at 1:27 AM, trurl said:

Recreate flash as a new install with whichever version you want. The config folder from your flash backup is all you need to get your configuration back.

You can use your backup when creating the new flash drive

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device#Using_the_Flash_Creator

On 1/31/2023 at 9:29 AM, trurl said:

If you use a different flash drive than the one your license key is registered to, then you need to transfer.