Current Budget SAS card for (12-16) 8TB-20TB drives?

Inigma

Hi good folks. 

Anyone know if a good deal for a sas card and cables that'll support 12-16 sata drives? 

Im looking to replace a an existing sata card and add a few more drives.  I need 2 (2 separate builds). 

Preferably under $200 each.

Anyone have any good tips or recommendations? 

The 8 drive cards are relatively inexpensive. I watched ebay prices for over a year to get a 16 drive card and spent $320 on it. The only ones cheaper shipped from China and I don't have any way to verify I'm getting a quality card. So, I paid more (I think about $50 more) to get one from The Art of Server (whose reputation is stellar).

the Adaptec ASR 71605 work great and support up to 16 hdds.  Press ctrl-A while booting, and you can switch modes from RAID to HBA (IT) or vice versa.  no need for flashing.  

on ebay, they run from $40 (with no cables) to $100 (with 4 cables) a piece.

These do require a lot of airflow.  So unless you're putting these in a server chassis, you'll absolutely want to strap a 40mm fan on the heat sink.  You can use zip ties, or m3 bolts into the extra holes on the heatsink.

note:  if you already have an lsi card, these use different connectors for the breakout cables (sff-8643).

Edited by ofmirroreye
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, ofmirroreye said:

the Adaptec ASR 71605 work great and support up to 16 hdds.  Press ctrl-A while booting, and you can switch modes from RAID to HBA (IT) or vice versa.  no need for flashing.  

on ebay, they run from $40 (with no cables) to $100 (with 4 cables) a piece.

Thanks!

Went this route. Just need to order a 40mm fan for each now.