Yet another "can't flush cache" question...

Krakout
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

So, I have a grand total of two days of experience with unRAID, coming from TrueNAS, and one of the first things that happened to me was that my cache drive got filled up to 100% when migrating my data. I read all relevant threads but I still can't flush my cache.

Setup: 2x4TB array, 1x128GB cache drive.

Appdata: Prefer

domains: Prefer

isos: No

Public (my main data share): yes

system: Prefer

VM/Docker: stopped. 

No CA mover plugin installed

My Public share still shows 86.9GB on the cache drive, and another 22.5GB from System.

No files open (no shell connection, no file managers reading folders off the NAS.

Diags attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've said I've been trying out solutions and I could only bring it down from 100% to 93% :(

cpc6128-diagnostics-20230209-0747.zip

• Solution

Your syslog shows that many files on the cache seem to already exist on the array.   Did you manually try moving files from the cache drive to an array drive at any point?   I am asking as mover will not move a file from cache to array if that file already exists on the array.    In Normal operation a file should only exist at one location - either on the cache or on the array - not both.

• Thanks 1
Just now, itimpi said:

Your syslog shows that many files on the cache seem to already exist on the array.   Did you manually try moving files from the cache drive to an array drive at any point?   I am asking as mover will not move a file from cache to array if that file already exists on the array.    In Normal operation a file should only exist at one location - either on the cache or on the array - not both.

Actually, I just saw the files a few minutes ago; some media files that I just deleted from cache and made sure they were on the array. Indeed that seems to have been the culprit, but no, I certainly didn't do such a thing - it was my first time going into the cache drive to see what's there. Weird? Any other reason this could happen?

Thanks for the help! :)

8 minutes ago, Krakout said:

Actually, I just saw the files a few minutes ago; some media files that I just deleted from cache and made sure they were on the array. Indeed that seems to have been the culprit, but no, I certainly didn't do such a thing - it was my first time going into the cache drive to see what's there. Weird? Any other reason this could happen?

Thanks for the help! :)

I don’t know how you would end up with files in both locations unless there had been some manual action taken to cause this.   That was why I asked about this.

Just now, itimpi said:

I don’t know how you would end up with files in both locations unless there had been some manual action taken to cause this.   That was why I asked about this.

Oh yes, I understand why you asked it, no problem with that. But up until a few minutes ago I didn't even know I could actually go into the cache fs and manipulate it, I was under the assumption that cache is pretty opaque to the user (no reason for that assumption, probably a leftover from other systems). So I'm pretty sure I didn't actually do it manually!