Super Power Super Cheap Xeon Platinum 8160 and over 120TB

stay tuned for the breakdown on a 6.4TB SSD Platinum 8160 fire beast that cost me far far less than $1000 to build!

this bad boy will also be pretty soft on the electricity bill and pretty darn quiet (explained at the very end).

Well, I currently have a SuperMicro X9SRL-F w/ E5-1650 v2 and 48GB of ECC. 

For storage I have 11TB of cache via 12 2TB SAS drives and 100TB of storage spread out across 20 disks that vary in size from 3TB to 18TB with an 18 and 16 being the parity drives.  Largest data drive right now is 10TB.

That CPU is a bit older and only has 6 cores 12 threads.  I often find that during high speed data transfers all the cores are pegged.  Add in that I want to set up a few dockers and a VM and I figured it’s time to upgrade.

Well turns out the upgrades cost far less than I thought!  

So the build:

++HP Z6 G4 Workstation $250 shipped (configured with a 8 Core Silver Xeon, 8GB ECC, and a FirePro video card)

++Intel Xeon Platinum 8160 Engineering Sample $80
++2x16GB DDR4 ECC PC4-2400T rDIMM $60

++HPE 6.4TB PCIe SSD $300

++4x8TB Helium SAS drives $250

——

ALREADY OWN 

——

++2x15 Bay DELL/EMC Disk Shelves (cost less than $300/ea I paid about $350 total)

++LSI SAS9207-8e external SAS card

++Dell PERC H330 12GBPS 8i internal SAS card

++SAS DRIVES: 1x18TB, 4x4TB, 10x3TB

++SATA DRIVES: 1x14TB, 2x10TB

++SSD DRIVES SAS/SATA/NVME: 1x1TB NVMe, 4x200GB SAS, 8x300GB SATA

——

DECOMMISSIONING

++SAS DRIVES: 12x2TB, 4x300GB

++SATA DRIVES: 1x6TB, 1x5TB, 3x4TB, 3x3TB
++SuperMicro case with 16 3.5” bays.  I won’t be able to use this so I have to slim the total drives down to 34 or less otherwise I’ll have to use my loud 60 bay DELL/EMC VRA60 that said the actual true goal is to get down to a nice slim 18 drive setup and I might at some point decommission a 10TB SATA drive to put in a fan cooled external enclosure for nightly backups of important files.  My absolute most important files are already backed up in cloud and to a 4TB internal SAS drive but I’d like to move to backing up everything besides movies, VMs, and games nightly.

• Like 3