Moving Server to A New To Me Server

bitphire
Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I setup unraid on my current PC and recently purchased an older PowerEdge R720XD server. Is there a guide or best way to move everything over to the new server without losing data?

My only 2 externals are setup as a pool with all my media on it at the moment and I rather not have to redownload everything. From what I understand, all individual files are stored completly on a single hard drive in the raid and not split across multiple drives. I am hoping that if I move all the hard drive's over minus my nvme drive that in theory it should just work.

I will find a way to back up any files that I really don't want to lose before I do anything but just curious if this is would work or should I just get another copy of UnRaid and setup the new server then transfer the files over?

Thanks for any advice.

• Solution

I would say you can just move the disks over, but things get more complicated if there are RAID controllers involved on either server. One of many reasons RAID controllers are not recommended. And it might also be more complicated if you have USB drives, as it sounds like you do. One of many reasons USB connections are not recommended.