Recommend a NIC Card

Dhcf23

Hi,

I am running a small server on a GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 and after some storms a few nights ago the onboard NIC is no longer working (orange light comes on and stays solid orange no other lights come on or blink and it is not recognized by the router). I am looking for gigabit NIC card recommendation to use with this server to see if I can get away with not replacing the motherboard as this seems to be the only issue it is having.

Thanks  

Before purchasing a new NIC, you might want to try troubleshooting your current one a bit.  First, try a different network cable (make sure it is CAT5E or better).  If that doesn't work, try disabling your onboard NIC in BIOS, restarting, then enabling it again.  If it still doesn't work, then post a syslog here, we may be able to offer other troubleshooting suggestions.

If you want to purchase a new NIC anyway, any PCI Intel NIC will do.  This seems to be the cheapest on Newegg at the moment, but if you find a cheaper one elsewhere that will work as well.  Intel NICs are the most reliable and fully compatible with unRAID.

Hi,

thanks for the recommendation on the card, I think I will just end up getting one and see if it works. I tried a few things mentioned above with no luck, I still cannot get it to work. When I try to check for the IP address ifconfig eth0 it returned an error, I forgot to write it down but it something along the lines of the device could not be found and I did double check to make sure I turned it back on in BIOS. I have attached the syslog if anyone wants to review that.

Thanks

syslog7-25-11.txt

I took a look at your syslog.  It all looks normal except for the section that is pertinent to your NIC:

Jul 25 02:51:13 Tower logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
Jul 25 02:51:13 Tower logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
Jul 25 02:51:13 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1046]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.
Jul 25 02:51:13 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1046]: Using interface eth0
Jul 25 02:51:13 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1046]: Initialization complete, link beat not detected.

In plain English, that is saying that unRAID does recognize your NIC and is using it correctly.  However, unRAID isn't detecting any signal coming in or out of the NIC.  Based on this it seems likely that your ethernet cable is defective, or there's some other problem with your network (perhaps the port on your router/switch is bad).  I assume you already checked these things?  Will another computer connect to your network using the same ethernet cable and port?

In plain English, that is saying that unRAID does recognize your NIC and is using it correctly.  However, unRAID isn't detecting any signal coming in or out of the NIC.

From what the OP writes, I suspect that the ethernet device is working but the line driver/receiver fried during the storms.

In plain English, that is saying that unRAID does recognize your NIC and is using it correctly.  However, unRAID isn't detecting any signal coming in or out of the NIC.

From what the OP writes, I suspect that the ethernet device is working but the line driver/receiver fried during the storms.

Makes sense, I forgot about his mention of storms.

Thanks for the responses, this past weekend I was able to get a card locally. Unfortunately they did not have the intel card in stock so I went with the Netgear GA311 since it was on the list of compatible NIC Cards. I later read about the number of issues in the later versions of unraid but I gave it a go anyway. So far so good I have not had any issues with it. Thanks again for everyones help.

Archived