Disk in array is showing disabled

Rojma
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

One of my disks in my 4-disk array recently started to show up as disabled. I found the following docs on how to deal with a disk when it goes into the disabled state:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Replacing_failed.2Fdisabled_disk.28s.29

However before replacing the disk, I want to make sure the disk is in fact bad. I recently moved all the disks from one server to another and everything worked fine for about a month before this issue started to show up. I just completed an extended SMART test. It completed with "read failure". I have attached the report along with diagnostics logs from the server. Honestly, I am not sure what to make of either set of logs, so if anyone can review and help me decipher them, I would appreciate it. Please note that I did reboot the server prior to collecting both sets of logs (my first instinct was to reboot to see if the disk would get "reenabled" - I have since learned what disabled really means). Part of me suspects it may be a bad cable. I am currently running a Read-Check but as soon as that is done, I plan to open up the server and replace the cables.

Any help, guidance, or suggestions would be appreciated.

winona-diagnostics-20230226-0945.zip winona-smart-20230225-1955.zip

• Solution

As a general rule of thumb it is reasonable to assume that any drive that cannot complete the extended SMART test is a candidate for replacement.    Looking at that drive it has quite a few reallocated sectors and several pending sectors which are also warning signs.

FYI:  The diagnostics includes SMART reports for all drives so no need to include it separately, although it can be a good idea to mention which drive it is to assist anyone trying to help you.

Ok thanks @itimpi. Yeah, doing my research I learned that I should've held off on rebooting before collecting logs. Now I know. Do you think the problems may be related to a bad SATA cable? Is it worth going down the route of replacing that cable, or are the logs clearly showing its a hard drive issue? Luckily the drive is still under warranty so I can get it replaced.

19 minutes ago, Rojma said:

or are the logs clearly showing its a hard drive issue? Luckily the drive is still under warranty so I can get it replaced.

The drive could not complete the extended SMART test so that rules out the SATA cable as the Mai culprit as that test is internal to the drive.   A bad SATA cable is still a possibility but that could not have caused the reallocated sectors or pending sectors.   Does not completely rule out the power cabling although that is less likely and I am not sure if power issues can ever cause reallocated or pending sectors.   At least failing the SMART test is normally enough to get a no questions asked warranty replacement.