Drive Read Errors & Building (Very Slow) Parity

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I have an array of 8TB (parity) and 5 * 3TB drives. In total about 80% full. One of my 3TB drives is giving errors which I need to replace.

My thought process was to put in a second 8TB drive to use as a second parity. Once that was done then pull the drive giving errors and replace it, letting the array rebuild the replaced drive.

The second parity is coming up at 20 hours building and 29% done. It was rebuilding at the normal rate of 100+ MB/s but has now dropped off to about 20-30KB/s with build time of about 10 years.

The drive to be replaced is at nearly 900,000 errors which is almost the same as the number of "writes".

Unsure really what to do next.

1) Stop the parity build on the second 8TB drive and just replace the 3TB (with a like drive) and hope for the best?

2) Stop the build and try replacing the 3TB with the 8TB currently having parity built to it?

3) Stop the parity and try and get anything I can off the 3TB drive?

4) Any other options?

1 hour ago, essjayeire said:

One of my 3TB drives is giving errors

No SMART report for disk1, is that the disk you were referring to? What errors exactly? Disk1 is mounted and not disabled, can't tell for sure if there is anything wrong with it without SMART report.

Doesn't really make sense to build parity when another disk in the array isn't working, but since you have another parity probably OK as long as you weren't rebuilding it too.

Shutdown, check connections on disk1, both ends, SATA and power, including splitters. Reboot and post new diagnostics.

• Solution

You should go to each for your WD disks and add attributes 1, 200 for monitoring. Disk1 has a large number of attribute 1.

You should replace disk1 which I assume is what you intended. Do that before adding parity2. Dual parity is probably overkill since you only have 5 data disks.