Using plugin to host Unraid as Home Router

Dear community,

I am writing this thread out of curiosity if we can use any plugin in the Unraid NAS system that can create WiFi hotspot just like Routers to use on another devices.

I am only getting maximum speed of 1Gbps for transferring data to my NAS system because of LAN limitations of my router. But I know that transferring data over wifi is much more simple process and I already have a wifi 6 network card that can I install in my NAS system to host as Wifi Router so that I can directly connect to NAS system with WiFi which will bring me 6Gbps speed and I don’t have to buy extra costly equipment to get more speed.

please do let me know if you have any solutions to this problem.

I shall be more thankful to you,

Manish Kumar.

Edited by Manish Kumar
  • Manish Kumar changed the title to Using plugin to host Unraid as Home Router
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. You could install / set up a VM or realise this via Docker. However, the traffic will still run via the LAN interface.

Even 1GB should be sufficient, but what do you expect in terms of faster transfer when most hard disks hardly provide any more?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 6:06 PM, Manish Kumar said:

But I know that transferring data over wifi is much more simple process

....interesting statement.

IMHO - as WiFi is a shared medium, with impact from distance and other obstacles for good reception  and even though these features like mumimo and beamforming exist - there is usually a factor of 10 between LAN and WiFi bandwidth to be seen ...meaning in order to transfer data end-2-end between client & Server at, for example, 10Mbps (1MB/sec), you need a 10+Mbps LAN-Link or a 100+Mbps WiFi Link.

This basically confirmes it: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/wi-fi-6-and-6e-explained

and I already have a wifi 6 network card that can I install in my NAS system to host as Wifi Router so that I can directly connect to NAS system with WiFi

Is this a PCIe card?

You could try and passthrough this to a router VM (if the OS inside has drivers for it), like openWRT or opnsense/pfsense, using a virtio NIC for LAN in the VM (which should give you max CPU bandwidth internally into the unraid Host - typically something between 8 to 50+Gbps, depending on your platform used.)

which will bring me 6Gbps speed and I don’t have to buy extra costly equipment to get more speed.

What WiFi clients are you planning to use in order to create & sustain a 6Gbps Link - not even talking about a 6Gbps data transfer (see my first statement)