Unable to get 2nd Pihole working

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a second pihole setup to have a failover incase the first one on my Synology NAS goes out.

But when I try and setup using custom network, I cannot access the pihole with the 192.16899.203 IP. If I set it up under bridge it then works but only as the same IP as my Unraid server, it will not come up under the specified IP address I gave it (192.16899.203). I did point the IP address on the second image to the first pihole IP address. 

I know I'm kind of rambling on here but hope it makes sense!

Any help would be appreciated!

2023-03-09 15_32_01-Tower_UpdateContainer and 1 more page - H3is3nb3rg - Microsoft Edge.png

2023-03-09 15_34_49-Tower_UpdateContainer and 1 more page - H3is3nb3rg - Microsoft Edge.png

Edited by H3is3nb3rg

I also had and have issues with using the default br0 but with my unifi controller. but I would suggest starting with this, it will explain why a default bridge is different from a custom bridge (I think that is all you will need to change). PIhole only needs to care about the DNS ports, so you can keep the unraid server IP and use the default DNS port. also don't forget with docker the "server" port and "container" port don't have to match.

Edited by beringbullet
4 hours ago, beringbullet said:

I also had and have issues with using the default br0 but with my unifi controller. but I would suggest starting with this, it will explain why a default bridge is different from a custom bridge (I think that is all you will need to change). PIhole only needs to care about the DNS ports, so you can keep the unraid server IP and use the default DNS port. also don't forget with docker the "server" port and "container" port don't have to match.

I too have a unifi controller. I have tried a fresh install of Pihole2 and still not able to resolve. So are you saying I should change to bridge and use the unraid IP address. Would I then point my DNS to the first pihole?

Changing to bridge and keeping it on port 80 fails on the pihole install. If i change to port 8080 then it works. I assume this is because unifi uses port 80.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by H3is3nb3rg