Keeping old USB drive (on trial license) as backup

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi, I am new to unRAID and also coming with a newly built system. Unfortunately, the USB drive I purchased is too long when my Jonsbo N1 case is vertically positioned. I just installed the trial license yesterday and I don't have much user configuration at the moment. So I was thinking of buying a smaller USB drive that can fit the bottom part of my case and purchase the new license with it. I don't want to transfer the license as I read that my old USB drive will be blacklisted from any unRAID license going further. I still want to keep my old drive as a backup USB for unRAID so I was thinking if it's fine to go like this:

1. Purchase new USB and unRAID license on it.

2. Simply remove old drive and plug new one and do the configuration from scratch.

3. Reformat or wipe out old drive.

In future, in case the new USB drive fails for any reason, will it be possible to transfer the license to the old drive?

I know it's quite petty but any lead would be appreciated.

Edited by Overman
  • Solution

No unfortunately you would not be able to do that.

it will be remembered that the old drive had a trial licence on it and in your scenario that would have expired so would no longer be able to run Unraid so it would end up blacklisted just as it does after a licence transfer.

another possibility that might be worth considering is a USB adapter that fits internally on a motherboard header so your existing USB drive can be internal to the case?