Disk in error state - Device is disabled

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Just received the following two e-mail notifications:

Event: Unraid Disk 1 error
Subject: Alert [BIGBOX] - Disk 1 in error state (disk dsbl)
Description: WDC_WD120EDAZ-11F3RA0_5PG85VEF (sdd)
Importance: alert

Event: Unraid array errors
Subject: Warning [BIGBOX] - array has errors
Description: Array has 1 disk with read errors
Importance: warning

Disk 1 - WDC_WD120EDAZ-11F3RA0_5PG85VEF (sdd) (errors 9)

I've re-named my server to BIGBOX in the e-mails so I'm not publicly declaring my server name.

My understanding is that this is likely (and hopefully) a power or SATA cable issue. As such, I've attached the diagnostics file now before doing anything.

Question 1:

Am I correct in doing the following?:

A. Shutdown server

B. Replace SATA and/or Power cable - even reseating SATA cable in different SATA port

C. Power on server

D. Follow the instructions here: https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

Question 2: Following the rebuild steps, the preamble states "There can be cases where it is determined that the reason a disk was disabled is due to an external factor and the disk drive appears to be fine." How do I determine the disk is "fine"? That it shows up under Main after a reboot?

Question 3: I'm running an expired trial, and I believe Unraid won't allow me to start the array after a reboot. Is there any way around this for the time being?

DISK 1 primarily stores TV shows. I've checked nearly 10 shows at random at various seasons and episodes and they all playback perfectly.

Question 4: Is this data being inferred on-the-fly by the difference between the remaining Parity and Data disks?

If a drive is being emulated then you can carry out recovery actions on the emulated drive before starting the rebuild process.

Question 5: Accordingly, am I fine to copy a few important files and folders over SMB? (I am aware of having backup plans)

I greatly appreciate any help in the matter.

BIGBOX-diagnostics-20230316-1448.zip

Edited by TekWarfare

Thank you for the guidance, JorgeB.

I left the array started overnight - not performed any of the rebuilding steps yet - and now Parity disk has increased UDMA CRC errors from 6 (before shutdown in OP) to 10 (now). It's the exact same cable as the one used by DISK 1 so looks like they've both gone funny at the same time, or I've accidentally knocked PARITY's SATA cable when re-doing DISK 1's. I'm going to shutdown the server and give PARITY a new cable too. Then I'll perform a SMART shot self-test and post the results I guess.

558657468_Screenshot2023-03-20at02-07-26.thumb.png.223c40e1272062da7b796aeb11c65e1e.png

On 3/17/2023 at 7:32 PM, JorgeB said:

If the emulated disk is still mounting you can rebuild.

Rebuild finished successfully. I was confused as to why I couldn't connect to mapped network drives afterwards, but soon realized it was because I started the array in maintenance mode.

Thank you for the help, JorgeB. 🙂

Is it fine to remove the offending disk from Historical Devices? Same with the cache drive in the attached picture. There's no point keeping either any more is there?