One disk getting full while others not so much

Go to solution Solved by apandey,

Hi everyone,

I did some searching the forums and reading the help files on the UI and can't find a reason for this behaviour on my array. Basically, Disk 1 is going to fill up while there is a lot of room left on the other two disks. See below for how my array is set up:

image.thumb.png.401c82bd1094e86efe7a7f05215ce220.png

Now I have had this array going since 2017, so I haven't been in an fiddled share settings for five or six years, but from my reading of the share settings the data should be getting written to disk 3 in preference to disk 1 and 2 (Disk 3 is the only one with space above the high water mark). All of my shares are set up along these lines:

image.thumb.png.b016ce52a155f10414f71dd85dce7ca8.png

I have double checked and no shares are forcing the use of Disk 1.

Thanks very much,

Tom

• Solution

What is being written? New files or updates to existing files? If a file is already on a disk, it will remain there irrespective of free space elsewhere

How is the data being written? Tools like rsync will create all dirs first, so things may all end up on first disk 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 5:00 PM, apandey said:

What is being written? New files or updates to existing files? If a file is already on a disk, it will remain there irrespective of free space elsewhere

How is the data being written? Tools like rsync will create all dirs first, so things may all end up on first disk 

Thanks very much, it was Rsync.